CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BDI EMC Install problem

Posted by Harvey White
on 2003-06-25 09:03:04 UTC
On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:57:58 -0700, you wrote:

>I downloaded the BDI latest version the other night and tried to install
>it. Actually, the download, burn the CD, and the install seemed to go
>without a hitch. I decided to blow windows 98 off my system and do a
>dedicated install. Like I said, the install seemed to go well. I opted to
>not use a password. When I booted up, I started getting notices that the
>"server:" was not located, and finally it ask me for a pass word. I
>assumed I had screwed up with the password on install so I re-installed it
>and this time put in a password. Same thing. After a couple hours of
>fumbling around, I gave up and went to install Win 98 back on my
>machine. Here, I got a nasty surprise, The BDI changed the cyl 0, record
>0. No big surprise here, but I found that I could not reformat the drive
>to get windows to boot. After three install attempts using Fdisk to delete
>partitions, and to re-assign them, I still couldn't get windows to
>boot. I finally did a low level format of the drive and then the windows
>install went without a problem. I haven't had to do anything like that
>since DOS 3.0 days.
>
>So my questions are
>1. how to get around the password/server not found problems.

No idea, never used the program

>2. has anyone else had problems trying to go back to a Win98 system after
>installing the BDI

From linux, yes. You have to do an fdisk/mbr to get fdisk to rewrite
the master boot record. Just plain fdisk or installing win98 dies not
do that. This from a Linux redhat 7.0 installation I decided not to
use.

Harvey

>I sure would like to get it (EMC) up and running to try it out. I know
>nothing about linux and have found nothing in the way of documentation that
>would let me accomplish getting EMC running, short of becoming a linux
>hacker. I have zero interest in becoming a linux expert. I don't really
>care what the OS is, it is the application that I want to use.
>
>Don

Discussion Thread

Don Rogers 2003-06-24 22:53:16 UTC BDI EMC Install problem Vince Negrete 2003-06-24 23:18:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BDI EMC Install problem Matt Shaver 2003-06-24 23:36:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BDI EMC Install problem Harvey White 2003-06-25 09:03:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BDI EMC Install problem Don Rogers 2003-06-25 09:12:58 UTC Re: BDI EMC Install problem Paul 2003-06-25 10:05:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: BDI EMC Install problem Vince Negrete 2003-06-25 23:32:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BDI EMC Install problem Matt Shaver 2003-06-25 23:54:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BDI EMC Install problem Vince Negrete 2003-06-26 00:43:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BDI EMC Install problem