CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BDI EMC Install problem

Posted by Vince Negrete
on 2003-06-25 23:32:15 UTC
Hi Matt,
Missed the Rimshot! <just kidding>
If you know all this already then bear with me so I can give info for the
group.
Mod: I know this is off-topic and wont continue the thread....

I've tried to setup dos partitions with LILO in the past where Windows would
be the native OS and it just doesnt work properly.
Unless they fixed Lilo (or that other Partition Manager that Linux offers)
recently, I dont recommend using Lilo to setup any partitions for dos or
Windows. Even when selecting DOS-32, WIN-32, or whatever partition type you
want in LILO, it still doesnt setup the Boot Record / Partition Header
properly...
Also, even setting up a new partition with Fdisk doesnt erase the "Boot
Record" so this is why you do a 'FDISK /MBR'.
(MBR stands for Make-Boot-Record) That little routine resides at the first
part of your harddrive and is the first thing your computer will see. Kind
of like a starting point...

Windows 2000, NT, and XP, Linux, all use and load their own Boot Record
which, when going back to Dos, Win95, 98, etc can cause your computer to
hang before booting (ie: black screen) if you dont have the right bootloader
installed.
For months I used to just re-low-level the drive using the Manuf. Utility
disk until a smart friend of mine told me about the 'Old School' proper way
to do it... :)

Vince