CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Parallel Port to Power Supply Grounding Differential

Posted by Bill Kichman
on 2003-07-08 05:47:27 UTC
Thanks for the clarification... I am also planning to use Mach 1 or similar
app, and will need to interface the limit and other safety circuits, which
makes the necessity to connect to an outside ground a greater possibility.
Bear with me while I go over my setup.....I am using (2) toroid transformer
power supplies with secondaries completely ground isolated from the AC
supply, and currently the DC negatives are chassis connected. At present the
AC chassis ground is not connected to the case (although likely should be
eventually for safety). I took a look at the parallel port grounds, and
they are tied in common with the PC chassis ground, at the backplane metal
connector.
If I were to install a separate permanent cabled ground, say a stranded
#14AWG, between the PC and the DC supply ground, and ensure it was always
connected before powering either device, wouldn't that take care of the
problem? That is, if I ensured I am powering from the same AC socket, can't
I reasonably expect the grounds to be at the same potential, although there
will possibly be some ground current through the ground connection?
Additionally I can use a laptop possibly as a controller, which is fed from
an isolated wall cube of course, so isn't that similarly approached?

If I really need a breakout board I 'll get one, but I want to be sure why I
am doing this and what other corrections can be made to correct the
potential problem. Thoughts?

R. William Kichman, P.E.
Kichman Engineering Associates
103 Old Furnace Road