CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: availability of composite multiconductor cable?

on 2003-07-19 22:53:04 UTC
I would have to say yes you could run into a problem.

Recent experiences have shown that cross talk can be an issue even if
the motor and encoder signals are in separate cables. If they are
runned in close proximity and there is the potential, do realize thought
that a number of issues come into play.

Recently we had a series of custom built machines, that for the most
part where identical, delivered to our plant. Out of the batch one had
terrible issues with a servo drive, we were able to solve the problem by
running a seperate motor line routed away from the encoder cable.
Eventually the fix was applied to the other machines and in doing so
fixed a couple of quirks with that where not show stoppers.

It is interesting to note that the vast majority of the servo
manufactures will advise you to run your encoder and power leads
seperately. In fact most packaged drives come this way, that is they
seperate their signal and power lines. You may very well put together
a system that does not appear to have a problem once or twice and then
on the sixth iteration have issues that result in piles of hair on the
floor. Keeping the signal and power lines seperate can reduce the
onset of self inflicted bladness. I'm sure there are exceptions to the
rule as far as cabling goes, but I've had such bad experiences with
servo wiring issues that I would not purchase a drive / motor assembly
that did not support seperate cabling.

thanks
Dave