CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hybrid Connectors Was Re: availability of composite multiconductor cable?

on 2003-07-20 08:07:04 UTC
Long distance parallel runs is the biggest issue. The closer the
cables are to each other the less coupling, it does not take a lot of
space between the cables to elminate a problem. Sometimes you can get
away with short runs having your signal and power cables bundled
togther, but it is hard to say how far is to far. Once inside a panel
box or race way allow for randomness.

The problem is that there are a whole host of differrent shield types in
the cables to contend with. Then you also have the issue of the type
of noise that the drive generates. Some old brushless drives where
very noisy requiring careful routing of power lines and not just for
elimination of encoder noise issues.

You might want to talk to the motor / drive manufacture to see what they
reccomend. If you are very careful in your attempt to eliminate ground
loops in the shields you may have good results just running two shielded
cables parallel for a few feet. If the manufacture comes back and
says run everything on one cable I'd be worried.

This brings up another issue which is termination of the shields.
Generally they should be terminated at one end at one point only.
Every effort should be made to make sure that the shields, of the
various cables, do not make electrical contact at any point beyond the
termination point.

Thanks
Dave