CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Question - VFD Question

William Scalione wrote:

>>>Can you run EMC from a Linux boot disc instead of dedicating a drive
>>>for it?
>>>

>>Not really. EMC needs the real time extensions to Linux. So, it won't
>>

>run
>

>>on any Linux system that has not had the patches applied to the kernel.
>>That's the benefit of the BDI, all that work has been done for you.
>>

>Well I believe you can, with EMC Live, although I have not used it, I
>thought you just booted from the CD and away you go, no dedicated hard drive
>required. Here is a quote from the linuxcnc.org page
>
>BDI-Live runs from a bootable CD, so requires at least 128Mb RAM and a
>fairly fast CPU (tested on a Celeron 600). No hard disk space is used unless
>a permenant home directory is used - This would appear as a 30Mb file called
>C:\morphix.img on a typical DOS/Windows computer.

Yes, you're absolutely right. I misinterpreted what he meant by boot disk.
Not just ANY Linux boot disc, of course, it has to be the BDI-Live! boot
disc.

Without setting up at least the morphix file as described above, you
would not
be able to set any of the parameters, such as steps/inch, speeds and
accelerations,
etc. which would make EMC pretty useless. But, with that file, and some
fooling around to get EMC to find the .ini file with those settings from
that
directory, it should make a usable EMC installation that won't require more
than a small amount of hard disc space. I don't know how well this will
work
out in terms of X-windows screen configuration, storage of toolpath programs
and such. I really don't think this is a proper way to do real work,
but might
make it easier to test it out and be sure EMC will fill your needs before
dedicating real resources to it.

ja_erickson 2004-01-23 16:55:53 UTC EMC Question - VFD Question Jon Elson 2004-01-23 18:55:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Question - VFD Question William Scalione 2004-01-23 19:29:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Question - VFD Question Jon Elson 2004-01-24 11:01:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Question - VFD Question John Delaney 2004-01-24 11:03:44 UTC Re: EMC Question - VFD Question Paul 2004-01-24 12:43:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Question - VFD Question Robin Szemeti 2004-01-24 16:50:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC Question Ray Henry 2004-01-24 19:02:06 UTC Re: EMC Question - VFD Question