CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What is the best way to CAD a flywheel w/spokes?

on 2004-06-16 11:48:53 UTC
Hi Ken, Bob,

I have been doing a few flywheels for my Baby Beam Engine. I'm on my
third type, one with turned spokes, one cut out of plate stock, and now
(hopefully) a cast one. I just milled the oak pattern out on the
Sherline. I'd be happy to help as well.

Not sure of the question? In Vector CAD you can draw a radial line,
then cut and paste it 5 times in a 360 degree rotation about the Z axis,
thus giving you the 5 spokes. But if you're going to mill the cutouts
for the spokes, then what you do is draw one spoke, and then replicate
it around. To draw a spoke, you can copy and rotate the center line of
a spoke to either side of the centerline, offset by a small amount.
Then draw a rim, and add fillets in the corners of the pocket between
the spokes to be cut out. These pie shaped cutouts also have a fillet
where the sides meet near the center. This is your basic spoke.

What was the 65 degree offset you're talking about? is that the side of
the spoke, as opposed to the centerline of the spoke? As in above, a
rotation of a line about the Z axis can give you the sides of the
spokes. In my milled flywheels, I rotate the line, then draw an arc
(15" radius for a 5" flywheel) through it's endpoints. This gives the
spoke a "fishbelley", rather then just a straight radial line.

I've just uploaded Flywheel 6B pix (JPG) to the files of SherlineCNC

This drawing was used to mill an oak flywheel pattern for casting in
bronze this weekend (hopefully!). The diameter is 6", The rim is 1/2"
thick, and was machined on a CNC'd Sherline mill (rotary table). The
spokes are about 3/8" thick, and thus are set in from the rim. It is
possibly to "thin" looking for your engine, as it is for an 1850's beam
engine. But you get the idea. Oh yeah, 6 spokes, not 5!

I REALLY like bar stock engines, but I couldn't resist the opportunity
to try a cast flywheel. Flywheels are an interesting place to
experiment with your design. I usually try at least two different
flywheels for each engine model I build!

Alan KM6VV