CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Driving a Bridgeport Knee

Posted by Peter Renolds
on 2005-02-15 06:05:02 UTC
In my opinion (and experience) there is nothing wrong with cnc'ing the
knee and using a rolled (.003") ballscrew and shimming the bevel gears
to remove backlash. I have one job that I run periodically and I can
hold 0.02mm (.0005") in Z all day long - but as the machine warms up, I
have to compensate for thermal effects. Don't get too concerned about
.003" error over 12" - you're almost never going to make anything that
big on a knee mill anyway. And while it is an error, a zero backlash
ballscrew is exremely repeatable hence you can compensate for it.
Admitedly, I'm not doing mould work where this could be a big factor but
in 2.5D and most small 3D parts I make, it's a non issue. I have
certain dims I have to hold and it takes care, but is not hard. I too
had planned to eliminate the bevel gears, but it turned out to not be
necessary.

Cheers, Peter