CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Soliciting Feedback: OS Design

Posted by Doug M
on 2006-07-24 12:43:37 UTC
Sounds like you're describing a lathe.

Doug

Dennis Schmitz <denschmitz@...> wrote:
I don't think that's an issue, after all we currently build machines of high
tolerance with machines built from lower tolerance. So how do we do it? With
the control system (humans and then computers). If the X slide has backlash,
we operate the machine against one of the stops to make parts of higher
tolerance than the mill's slides. Each generation should actually get more
accurate. That's actually one of the first objections I came up with.

In any case, the "self-replicating maching" is probably too ambitious for
today's technology, but I don't see a fundimental reason why a machine tool
shouldn't be able to make all parts it's made of, within reason -- I'm not
suggesting that it be able to make everything atom-for-atom. Yet, anyway.

It would need capability to:

* Accurately Positioning in at least 3 degrees of freedom, pref 4.
* Rotate a part against a fixed tool.
* Use rotary tool against fixed part.
* Accurately a measure part.
* Operate at wide range of speeds.
* Accomodate several different material hardnesses.

And in my opinion it would need to be able to support these operations
without complicated switcharound proceedures like a Shopsmith.

A tool changer would be nice too.

So what else?