CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: ELCB Issues

Posted by Mark Vaughan
on 2007-03-18 13:55:14 UTC
It's your inverter, I have installed loads of them, and never met one yet
that doesn't trip a house type 30 or 50mA ELCB.

I would get a second consumer unit, just a small one, enough for one ELCB
and one MCB, and come from the input side (with caution for live wires) of
your ELCB to the second consumer unit. Then in the second consumer unit run
an ELCB with a higher trip current, through an MCB and on a spur direct to
your machine. Your inverter manufacturer should give an indication what type
of ELCB and MCB will be required. ELCB's start at 30 or 50mA for most
houses, then commercial are mostly 100mA, and then for big industrial
machines you get 300mA, 500mA, 600mA, 750mA, that is at least those
factories that bother to have protection and many have nothing. You may also
need a type B,C or D MCB since some inverters have very high inrush current
when you power them up. I've found most 100mA ones still aren't enough for a
VFD

Dr. Mark Vaughan Ph'D. B.Eng. M0VAU

Managing Director

Vaughan Industries Ltd, reg in UK no 2561068

Water Care Technology Ltd, reg in UK no 4129351

Addr Unit3, Sydney House, Blackwater, Truro, Cornwall, TR4 8HH, UK.
Phone/Fax 44 1872 561288

_____