CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: How to convert a Grizzly 1006 Mill to CNC

Posted by hannu
on 2007-10-20 04:18:35 UTC
There are no stupid questions in the world.

A man who asks is one who learns, and one who tells is someone sharing ..

You can ignore the extra ports. Or disable the onboard lpt1 parallel
port in the pc bios. It wont matter.

This was in my earlier post - mach supports 2 ports maximum. (There are
ways, but its complex and not worth it for now ...).
2 parallel ports is what you need, and it will be plenty.
You really want a 2 ghz+ machine - because you really, really want to
run at 60 to 100 khz. The faster it runs, the less jitter you have on
timing pulses, and the better it works. Really. I would recommend a
second-hand newish (or new) motherboard - maybe 100-200. Not expensive.

NOT konqueror - my mistake. I´m really sorry. Can´t imagine what I was
thinking about, I suppose I´m getting old ...

I meant KNOPPIX of course.
http://www.knoppix.org/

Download the knoppix iso image. Its a bittorrent file, you need utorrent
to download it. Burn it to cd. But cd in pc. Boots from cd.

It automatically detects all your hardware, and boots into graphical
windows environment.
It wont touch your hard drive.
You need to install nothing.
Its dead easy, even if you have 0 linux experience.

Just look in the menu for hardware and resources, you can see the real
io address of any card in the system.
My experiences have been excellent, even with old hardware.
You will need this, to see the io address of the parallel port, unless
the windows driver tells it like it should.
Mine are dc00 and ec00 for lpt2 and lpt3. Std default ports are 378 and
276, iirc.

In mach3, you then configure lpt1 as dc00 and lpt 2 as ec00. thats it.
Its even easier to do it than write it. No sweat.

A quick google on "pc dual paralllel port card" found this.
http://www.nextag.com/Lava-Computer-Lava-Dual-63629958/prices-html
Any cheap pci parallel port card should work.

Its such a cheap item, I don´t even order them from the warehouses, just
pick one up in nearest neighbourhood pc shop.