CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

re:Help: Machine Control Software Advice

Posted by ballendo@y...
on 2000-10-04 15:14:08 UTC
Mike writes:
>I've gone back over the archives looking for some clear
>recommendations on low-end step/direction machine control software
>and have found there are about as many opinions as there are
>packages.<snip>There seems to be some consensus the MAXNC software
>is pretty bad.<snip> The software choice, however, is a lot tougher.
>What do folks think of Yeager's CNC Pro? What about DeskNC? For more
>money, there are options like Bobcad. And finally, there's all the
>various DOS/Windows freeware like Kellyware's K-CAM, Stepster and
>Master Control CNC? I'm not crazy about Linux so EMC probably isn't
>a good choice.
>I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, but you'd think there
>would be some standout software in this crowd? Has anyone had
>experience with several packages? I'm mainly looking for ease of
>use. Thanks!

Mike,

They are ALL good choices, and ALL bad choices! Depends on what you
want to do, what knowledge/ resources/ needs you have.

More importantly, they are nearly ALL "moving targets". What was true
about one last month is no longer true, etc.

I have used (and continue to use) all of the products you mention. It
IS VERY interesting to see the HUGE difference which can be seen and
heard using different S/W to drive the same hardware!

Having said that, here's my $.02:

For completeness of the g codes, EMC can't be beat. It is being
improved daily and is used commercially with success. Heavy duty
features like leadscrew compensation are available, but subroutines
and re-start-ability are poor,at present. Still breaks down on lots
of short linear moves, and not the cleanest pulse train for steppers
(although much improved).

Deskncrt IS EMC, for dos, but the interface is currently unrealistic
to be used in a daily environment.(see note above re:moving target,
tho)Dan M. says it works great with his setup.

For the cleanest pulse train,look at cncpro or flashcut, with ah-ha
close behind. Doug has a DXF import for cncpro and supports variables
and subroutines, but no expression evaluation. Flashcut GUI (also DXF
import)is excellent, but you're tied to their hardware. Ah-ha! does a
great job with subs and parametrics/ variables. Also being used in
commercial apps. The programmer who developed it has left the co.

For cost, you can't beat free! This includes kcam, stepster,master
control(for-now, at least). Kcam is a good hobbiest type choice for
engraving,simple to use,but has the "windows overhead" problems with
the output pulses. Kelly is helpful and attentive. Stepster is
available for modification in whatever way YOU(or a hired programmer)
sees fit. A good choice for "custom" applications. Art's master
control is a work in progress; it obviously can do some types of work
very well. not what I'd use for mold-making. Again the "windows
overhead" and weak gcode support hinder its use where employees are
involved.

MAXNC. Inexpensive, decent support in the program for codes(handles
loops great,does cutter comp, but poorly),Fourth axis capable.
Digitizer
capable. medium quality pulse train. Poor accel/decel params and
functionality. But I've cut some great parts with it!(not a glowing
review, but not a condemnation,either)

I could go on. And on... But hopefully you get the picture. For any
SPECIFIC given usage, there is a CURRENTLY BEST option. But it is
precisely that there is no overall standout(and probably shouldn't
be, considering the range of uses and expectations for cnc), which
puts us all in the position of needing to sort through what's
available to best fit OUR needs.

Hope this helps.

Ballendo

P.S. I tried above to leave out one part of the decision which is
variable,I.E. the company or person behind the software. These are
small operations and personality and support often will determine
whether a package is a good choice for you.

P.S.S. I left Bobcad out of the discussion since it is a CAD/CAM
package only, not a CNC control. Vector would also need to be
included if CAD/CAM was the issue.

Discussion Thread

dave engvall 2000-10-03 21:40:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Slightly off-topic : History behind lettered drills catboat15@a... 2000-10-04 08:39:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Slightly off-topic : History behind lettered drills Mike 2000-10-04 11:29:44 UTC Help: Machine Control Software Advice Joe Vicars 2000-10-04 11:39:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help: Machine Control Software Advice Chris Hellyar 2000-10-04 11:57:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help: Machine Control Software Advice Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-10-04 12:50:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help: Machine Control Software Advice Rick Dulas 2000-10-04 13:59:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help: Machine Control Software Advice ballendo@y... 2000-10-04 15:14:08 UTC re:Help: Machine Control Software Advice Mike 2000-10-04 16:39:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help: Machine Control Software Advice cnc002@a... 2000-10-04 16:39:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help: Machine Control Software Advice Carey L. Culpepper 2000-10-04 17:09:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help: Machine Control Software Advice cnc002@a... 2000-10-04 18:05:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help: Machine Control Software Advice Ozzie@h... 2000-10-04 20:26:00 UTC Re: Help: Machine Control Software Advice Chris Hellyar 2000-10-05 01:07:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help: Machine Control Software Advice cnc002@a... 2000-10-05 12:27:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Help: Machine Control Software Advice