CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help: Machine Control Software Advice

Posted by Chris Hellyar
on 2000-10-05 01:07:25 UTC
Hi-ho,

I really can't remember what version of MAXNC I had, that was a while ago,
it was one of the first demo's I downloaded. I've had a sift though my
links and I can't find it, so it must have been before Feb this year when I
rebuilt my PC.. It did work, and was the first package I used on the
retrofitted lathe, but when I found stepster I dropped maxnc.

In terms of machining on the CNC lathe, the only two items I've made apart
from just playing around are some prop adaptors for small electric aircraft
using "Speed 280" electric motors, and a collet for a friends router. Both
out of bar stock alloy. My reason for doing the lathe was more of a
learning experience on the way to making a CNC router. The lathe was pretty
shonky before I did the mods, and now it's only slightly more useful. It is
a San Yuan DIY-4 for anyone who knows the unit... It's a small low quality
tooling lathe. Also, I'm not a machinist by trade or hobby, I'm an
electronics/computer engineer, so it's a bit of a leap for me to start
making anything very complex from metal... I am thinking of getting a
better lathe (and larger...) to do some more serious work, but that will
have to wait as I just had a change of full time job, and the bank balance
is not flash....

The router will be for cutting bits for model aircraft, and small robot
parts for my part time business (Ohmark, as per my sig). It is really a
hobby thing, but I'm trying to do it right, so to speak.

Cheers, Chris.

* Design engineer, Assembly worker, Cleaner.
* Ohmark Electronics. PO Box 5302, Christchurch, New Zealand.
* http://www.ohmark.co.nz