CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]doodling with ideas

on 2000-10-16 19:18:11 UTC
Hi All.

There was an article in Engineering in Miniature a few years ago describing
just this process being used at I think Woolwich Arsenal to "turn" complex
shaped rifle stocks in wood. A similar process was used to make wooden
pulley block housings for sailing ships.

Jim Gregg.

At 11:48 AM 10/16/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Thanks Joe
>
> I must admit I laugh to myself when I imagine a lathe trying to
turn a square at a high RPM (My mind inevitably pictures that
>classic clip if the early whirling / flapping attempt at the helicopter.
But seriously I can vividly recall pictures of the german war
>production of propeller blades and they were being cut essentially on a
lathe with power tooling while the "tool post motion was
>controlled by a cam follower against a "master" of the prop.
>
> Now,, if I dismiss any notion of "high RPM" I can visualize a tool
post moving back and forth in sync with the normal spindle
>(non moving [not precluding the rotation of the spindle]) computer
controlled to to trace the desired path on the part, over and over as
>the carriage feeds along the bed. Power tooling would be needed for
shapes which preclude the use of the standard cutter and careful
>speed control of spindle rotation would have to be programmed in at abrupt
changes in direction.

> I am sure you could have some colossal screw ups but with careful
programming I cannot see why such shapes could not be
>produced. ?????
>

>Bill Darby
>
>Joe Vicars wrote:
>
>> Lobes and cams, yes. Squares and Hex (es) are another story.
Having said that, you need control over the spindle motion to
>> produce your off round shapes.
>> Let me state that more plainly. You need co-ordinated motion
between the spindle and the carriage and cross slide. Equivalent
>> of X-Y and Theta (or is it Y, Z, Theta?). Some downfalls are that the
spindle speed must be VERY slow to turn a cam. OK if you have
>> a live tool doing the cutting (grinder or spindle). Not OK if you are
using a "regular" lathe tool.
>> The limitations have to do with the inertia of the cross slide and
the capability of the control system. Imagine turning a
>> simple one lobe cam. At 180 RPM you would have 3 points of inflection
every second to move your cross slide (accelerate,
>> decelerate, 6 times). Depending on the eccentricity of the cam, most
cross slides would have no chance of keeping up. Of course
>> the bigger the part the bigger the slide, more mass to move, slower.....
Mass compounds mass quickly.
>> Most vanilla CNC lathes are 2 axis with an encoder on the spindle so
that it "knows" where the spindle is so that it can do
>> threading. Being able to move the spindle and the other axes in
co-ordinated motion is way beyond vanilla and is not really a
>> "lathe".(more like a 'turning center') Being able go 3600 rpm and then
stop and hold the spindle still while you machine the part is
>> an expensive trick.
>> I have had plans to build a lathe with stepper control of the
spindle, but I have not figured out how to overcome the above
>> problem.
>> Lathe parts with flat sides can be produced on special "square
turning" lathes that have floating spindles, but it is much more
>> cost effective to do it will live tooling on a lathe with spindle
control. The srew machine method of getting square or hex on a
>> part is to use square and hex stock. It is much easier to put a round
on a square than a square on a round.
>> Fin.
>>
>> BillDarby wrote:
>>
>> > Was just sitting here wondering if anyone has used any CNC lathe
software that would allow you to turn shapes, other then just
>> > circular. It occures to me that under CNC control, a lathe should be
easily capable of turning all sorts of shapes (squares, hex,
>> > lobs, cams)????
>> >
>> > Bill Darby

Discussion Thread

Joe Vicars 2000-10-16 08:17:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]doodling with ideas Jon Anderson 2000-10-16 08:36:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]doodling with ideas BillDarby 2000-10-16 08:50:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]doodling with ideas dougrasmussen@c... 2000-10-16 09:09:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]doodling with ideas BillDarby 2000-10-16 09:13:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]doodling with ideas BillDarby 2000-10-16 09:22:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]doodling with ideas Jon Anderson 2000-10-16 09:36:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]doodling with ideas dougrasmussen@c... 2000-10-16 10:32:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]doodling with ideas BillDarby 2000-10-16 11:00:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]doodling with ideas Joe Vicars 2000-10-16 11:15:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]doodling with ideas Jon Anderson 2000-10-16 11:40:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]doodling with ideas BillDarby 2000-10-16 12:37:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]doodling with ideas Ian Wright 2000-10-16 13:34:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]doodling with ideas Alison & Jim Gregg 2000-10-16 19:18:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]doodling with ideas ptengin@a... 2000-10-16 19:34:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]doodling with ideas BillDarby 2000-10-16 20:00:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]doodling with ideas Anne Ogborn 2000-10-16 23:29:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]doodling with ideas R. T. Robbins 2000-10-22 20:43:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]doodling with ideas