CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Indexer LPT was Re: Deskncrt, CncPro,Master5 ,etc

Posted by Chris L
on 2001-11-11 19:15:12 UTC
Hey Ballendo.............
I am under the understanding that all of the previous versions of Indexer,
previous to the re-write of version 4 (which include much larger buffer
sizes), would not allow ANY of the new Windows Interfaces to run. Or, rather
in simpler terms, The NEW interfaces would not be able to "call up" or fire
off commands to the older version 3 underlying TSR.

If that would be the case, I don't know how it would be used to "ward off"
the old Digital users. I have a hunch that it just became "time" to protect a
program that had no protection from shady people at all. I think Ability
would be pretty curious if you bought the "Front End" and not the rest !

I enjoyed it's motion and smoothness at one time, then had to scrap it
because the interface has an "issue" that drove me nuts when it came to
setting Program Zero.

I am familiar with those old Digital Tools machines software. I think anyone
that was running it has "Clawed their way" into something better a long time
ago!

I came across a "Tool" brochure from Crawford in a box of old junk that came
with a Digital I picked up. No software at all, just Literature. I can not
find a single reference to them on the web. Not that I would want to I guess.
Pretty old stuff..............Unless it worked well !

My copy of Indexer is on the shelf. I thought someday I would just build some
kind of motion control lazy boy chair or something with it. But, I do want to
build a small engraver this winter,,,, maybe I could stick it on there.
Again, the motion itself was very good, very smooth. It was something in that
hpgl interface. That, and of course no 3d capability which this engraver
won't need. The way it worked best was to create a file of actual Indexer
Commands right out of Cadlink's SignLab (they outputed Indexer Code) and then
run that around Indexer hpgl import window.

Maybe for this engraver project it wouldn't be so bad. Then again, with some
of the other up and coming economical controls, maybe it would be a waste of
time.

Thanks,

Chris L