CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Controlling more stepper drivers than I have outputs for?

Posted by Peter
on 2002-04-15 10:45:24 UTC
I looked at the PDMX-120 and downloaded the excellent manual with great
interest - it looks to be a very well designed board. I definitely
would rather purchase rather than re-invent. His other products are
also very interesting but I basically have something very similar that I
have used before and am modifying.

The reason is that Indexer LPT uses the parallel ports quite differently
to most of the other systems supported by the PDMX-120. Only two axes
are supported per parallel port - the other lines are used for limit
switches and general purpose I/O lines. As I understand its operation
so far, you actually "disable" the parallel port in Windows - so Windows
can't screw up your motor and also to protect the user from someone
accidentally "printing" to a parallel port connected to a motor from say
Word and doing damage to their motor or themselves. Also, Indexer takes
complete control of the CPU while motion is underway and then returns
control to Windows when it is safe. You have to keep G Code Controller
as the active window - i.e. maximize it on screen.

Cheers, Peter