CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] X- Axis won't do as it's told

Posted by bjammin@i...
on 2002-05-25 09:12:25 UTC
This sounds as if you could use some more inertia built into the X axis
mechanical drive.

At 03:53 PM 5/25/02 -0000, you wrote:
> [...]
>been getting extraneous RF pulses through the circuit causing it to
>malfunction. I had sheilded the control cables with Al foil and
>earthed them at one end without any effect.
> My problem is that the X-Axis is very unstable and has a mind of
>it's own when it comes to the direction I want it to go. Sometimes
>it goes right then all of a sudden it goes left and may go that way a
>few times then back in the right direction. I had it running
>smoothly 2 days ago and thought I had tweeked it the right way but
>the next day upon startup it behaved erratically and roughly again
>with no intervention on my part. I have tried to slow the pulses down
>and also set the acceleration to heaps of different values.
> I am now on my 3rd motor as I have tried 3 size 23 1.8deg different
>value steppers 4 wire and 6 wire and I am now using a size 32 2deg
>stepper. ( my last as I burnt the last 2 out trying different values
>for the resisters)
> My router has linear bearings on round bar and 3 start 3/8 acme
>teflon coated screws with plastic nuts and runs very smoothly when
>turned by hand with no power on and very little friction so I am
>positive it isn't mechanical.
> The Y and Z axis run very smoothly and I have tried swapping wires
>around using the drive of another axis but still have the same
>problem. Even went to gearing the drive down with toothed belts
>about 3 to 1 for more power. I am nearly convinced that I am doing
>something wrong with the speed and acceleration settings in the
>software but nothing I try seemes to work. Should I uninstall
>everything and reload the Progs from scratch?
> Before I fitted the 32 stepper I had a vexter 1.8deg 4V 1.4A 4 wire
>motor fitted which ran very smoothly but I always lost a heap of
>steps when doing a project. Sometimes 0.020 in an inch but mostly
>just enough to cut out the side of letters when cutting a sign. It
>was always smooth going right but lost steps when travelling left.(I
>even tried turning my nut around to face the other way). That is why
>I went to the larger motor for a bit more grunt just incase things
>were too heavy for it but the problems seems to have worsened. (very
>stuttery and unsmooth)
> I hope I have given you enough info as I am getting a churning
>feeling in my guts and the 14lb "linear rectifier" is sitting next to
>the router for some serious tweeking should I not be able to work
>things out. This has been going on for 4 months and I can't seem to
>find anything in this list that has helped yet and I have scoured it
>nearly every night in that time. This list has been a godsend for
>building my machine and it is so frustrating to be so close yet so
>far so I hope an angel is out there watching over me that can help.
>Warm regards
>Richard.
>

>Addresses:
>
>OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
>If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
you have trouble.
>http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there, for
OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.