CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: X- Axis won't do as it's told

Posted by mariss92705
on 2002-05-25 20:40:36 UTC
I don't think that is a safe conclusion. What if there is a problem
with the LPT bit line that drives the X axis Direction?

Mariss

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., bjammin@i... wrote:
> I think he already said that even though his other two axes work
fine,
> those drivers also will not make the X work ... so I conclude it
isn't
> electronix. Anyone?
>

> At 11:12 PM 5/25/02 -0000, you wrote:
> >Richard,
> >
> >This sounds like a problem that can be solved quickly.
> >
> >Get a multimeter and set it to DC volts.
> >Place the black lead to the PC ground (LPT1 connector shell).
> >Place the red lead on the G201 DIRECTION terminal (8).
> >Command a CW move for the axis.
> >Write down the voltmeter reading.
> >Command a CCW move.
> >Write down the voltmeter reading.
> >
> >One reading must be 0.5VDC or less. The other reading must be
4.5VDC
> >or more.
> >
> >Now place the red lead on the G201 terminal 10.
> >Write down the voltmeter reading.
> >
> >This reading must be between 4.75VDC and 5.25VDC.
> >
> >If the first set of readings are wrong, you have a problem with
the
> >parallel port. If the second reading is incorrect, you have a
problem
> >with the PC power supply. If all readings are correct, reply and
we
> >will try something else.
> >
> >You didn't say if you are using a G210 or a G201.
> >
> >If it is a G210, are you running the input option header settings
> >as "common ground"? That can be a problem with weak motherboard
LPT1
> >line drivers. Switch to "common +5VDC" and things should work OK
> >then. Don't forget to take terminal 10 on the G210 to the PC
+5VDVC
> >(terminal 1 on the game port) when you do that.
> >
> >Let me know what you find out.
> >
> >Mariss
> >
> >--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "baccus61" <rich5886@o...> wrote:
> >> Hi Gang,
> >> I am slowly going bald here as my router has been playing up
on
> >the
> >> X- axis ever since I first built it and I am pulling my hair out
at
> >> an alarming rate.
> >> I am using Gecko drives, 24 volt supply (36v), 20,000uF Cap and
all
> >> the usual stuff crammed into an old computer case. I have tried
> >> Master5 and CNCPro and Kelly Cam with the same results on all
> >> programs. This is mark2 of the control box as I thought I may
have
> >> been getting extraneous RF pulses through the circuit causing it
> >> malfunction. I had sheilded the control cables with Al foil and
> >> earthed them at one end without any effect.
> >> My problem is that the X-Axis is very unstable and has a mind
of
> >> it's own when it comes to the direction I want it to go.
Sometimes
> >> it goes right then all of a sudden it goes left and may go that
way
> >> few times then back in the right direction. I had it running
> >> smoothly 2 days ago and thought I had tweeked it the right way
but
> >> the next day upon startup it behaved erratically and roughly
again
> >> with no intervention on my part. I have tried to slow the pulses
> >down
> >> and also set the acceleration to heaps of different values.
> >> I am now on my 3rd motor as I have tried 3 size 23 1.8deg
> >different
> >> value steppers 4 wire and 6 wire and I am now using a size 32
2deg
> >> stepper. ( my last as I burnt the last 2 out trying different
> >values
> >> for the resisters)
> >> My router has linear bearings on round bar and 3 start 3/8 acme
> >> teflon coated screws with plastic nuts and runs very smoothly
when
> >> turned by hand with no power on and very little friction so I am
> >> positive it isn't mechanical.
> >> The Y and Z axis run very smoothly and I have tried swapping
> >wires
> >> around using the drive of another axis but still have the same
> >> problem. Even went to gearing the drive down with toothed belts
> >> about 3 to 1 for more power. I am nearly convinced that I am
doing
> >> something wrong with the speed and acceleration settings in the
> >> software but nothing I try seemes to work. Should I uninstall
> >> everything and reload the Progs from scratch?
> >> Before I fitted the 32 stepper I had a vexter 1.8deg 4V 1.4A 4
> >wire
> >> motor fitted which ran very smoothly but I always lost a heap of
> >> steps when doing a project. Sometimes 0.020 in an inch but
mostly
> >> just enough to cut out the side of letters when cutting a sign.
It

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

http://www.freeyellow.com/members/batwings/caving.html
> Screw OPEC, drive a motorcycle!

Discussion Thread

baccus61 2002-05-25 08:53:45 UTC X- Axis won't do as it's told bjammin@i... 2002-05-25 09:12:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] X- Axis won't do as it's told Dan Mauch 2002-05-25 10:20:33 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] X- Axis won't do as it's told Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-05-25 11:32:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] X- Axis won't do as it's told webstercnc 2002-05-25 15:07:16 UTC Re: X- Axis won't do as it's told mariss92705 2002-05-25 16:12:11 UTC Re: X- Axis won't do as it's told bjammin@i... 2002-05-25 18:59:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: X- Axis won't do as it's told art 2002-05-25 19:03:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] X- Axis won't do as it's told mariss92705 2002-05-25 20:40:36 UTC Re: X- Axis won't do as it's told bjammin@i... 2002-05-26 04:35:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: X- Axis won't do as it's told baccus61 2002-05-26 07:05:57 UTC Re: X- Axis won't do as it's told.. FEEDBACK baccus61 2002-05-28 07:30:20 UTC Re: X- Axis won't do as it's told baccus61 2002-05-29 05:16:59 UTC Re: X- Axis won't do as it's told...EUREKA wanliker@a... 2002-05-29 10:02:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: X- Axis won't do as it's told...EUREKA