CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] X- Axis won't do as it's told

Posted by Dan Mauch
on 2002-05-25 10:20:33 UTC
If you are using the G201 are you using +5 from the PC for signal
common? It sounds like the direction from the pc or to the G2X1 is not
being switched properly. Please provide more info on how you have the
Gecko wired for step and direction.

-----Original Message-----
From: baccus61 [mailto:rich5886@...]
Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2002 8:54 AM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] X- Axis won't do as it's told

Hi Gang,
I am slowly going bald here as my router has been playing up on the
X- axis ever since I first built it and I am pulling my hair out at
an alarming rate.
I am using Gecko drives, 24 volt supply (36v), 20,000uF Cap and all
the usual stuff crammed into an old computer case. I have tried
Master5 and CNCPro and Kelly Cam with the same results on all
programs. This is mark2 of the control box as I thought I may have
been getting extraneous RF pulses through the circuit causing it to
malfunction. I had sheilded the control cables with Al foil and
earthed them at one end without any effect.
My problem is that the X-Axis is very unstable and has a mind of
it's own when it comes to the direction I want it to go. Sometimes
it goes right then all of a sudden it goes left and may go that way a
few times then back in the right direction. I had it running
smoothly 2 days ago and thought I had tweeked it the right way but
the next day upon startup it behaved erratically and roughly again
with no intervention on my part. I have tried to slow the pulses down
and also set the acceleration to heaps of different values.
I am now on my 3rd motor as I have tried 3 size 23 1.8deg different
value steppers 4 wire and 6 wire and I am now using a size 32 2deg
stepper. ( my last as I burnt the last 2 out trying different values
for the resisters)
My router has linear bearings on round bar and 3 start 3/8 acme
teflon coated screws with plastic nuts and runs very smoothly when
turned by hand with no power on and very little friction so I am
positive it isn't mechanical.
The Y and Z axis run very smoothly and I have tried swapping wires
around using the drive of another axis but still have the same
problem. Even went to gearing the drive down with toothed belts
about 3 to 1 for more power. I am nearly convinced that I am doing
something wrong with the speed and acceleration settings in the
software but nothing I try seemes to work. Should I uninstall
everything and reload the Progs from scratch?
Before I fitted the 32 stepper I had a vexter 1.8deg 4V 1.4A 4 wire
motor fitted which ran very smoothly but I always lost a heap of
steps when doing a project. Sometimes 0.020 in an inch but mostly
just enough to cut out the side of letters when cutting a sign. It
was always smooth going right but lost steps when travelling left.(I
even tried turning my nut around to face the other way). That is why
I went to the larger motor for a bit more grunt just incase things
were too heavy for it but the problems seems to have worsened. (very
stuttery and unsmooth)
I hope I have given you enough info as I am getting a churning
feeling in my guts and the 14lb "linear rectifier" is sitting next to
the router for some serious tweeking should I not be able to work
things out. This has been going on for 4 months and I can't seem to
find anything in this list that has helped yet and I have scoured it
nearly every night in that time. This list has been a godsend for
building my machine and it is so frustrating to be so close yet so
far so I hope an angel is out there watching over me that can help.
Warm regards
Richard.

Addresses:

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it
if you have trouble.

sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there,
for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

Post messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Moderator: jmelson@... timg@... [Moderator]