CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: ball screw preferences

Posted by Mark Vaughan
on 2007-03-11 09:24:00 UTC
Hi Balendo

My APTC hand mill is 5 or 6 though backlash on Acme screws.

My recently acquired CNC mill is an Avon Circa 1989, built for an aerospace
group, with low hours on it. The ball screws that were several thousand
pounds each, the servo motors are 6KW, and fetch over £1000 second hand, the
servo cards are over £1200 each, it’s a big professional machine, and was
very expensive in it’s day and weighs several tons.

I bought it cheap with a faulty CNC controller and moved it over to mach3,
and a G100.

Without having stripped the screws, I had about 0.5 (yes 5/10) of a though
of backlash, on one axis, and something over a though on the other axis.

I worked on resetting the end thrust races and got that down to less than
0.5 though, about 0.3 most of the time, this varies a little along the
length of the screw.

This measurement is taken using a 1/10 of a thou per division large clock
face DTI, (1 thou is over an inch span on the dial), nudging up against a
block, then nudging off until the dti moves.

You can push and pull on the bed, and you get about the same result, though
a hard wack on the bed will bounce the dti about 1 though.

Now you say you normally find 2 to 3 though backlash. To me this seems a bit
large for a ball screw, an acme screw isn’t much more, and a Bridgeport
screws spec says better than half a thou, which makes my findings relative
to a Bridgeport.

Last night I rebuilt these preloaded anti backlash ball screws, I can place
a mag mount on the screw, up against the nut assembly, and if there is
movement on the dti as I push and pull on the nut, it is less than 1/10 of a
thou, and that may have been a little rotary action in the nut. The ball
nuts are not quite as I stated, now they are all cleaned, the tapers on the
C washer do not come up against the taper on the nuts, these are just there
to allow the C clip to spring open past the screw without damaging the
screw. The C washer is ground so that the two ball screws nip up against
each other when the impact on the C washer, then a connecting key joins the
two ball nuts. The same as you do to build an anti backlash kit on an acme
screw. The ball nuts do move on the screw, but they are not what free, there
is some resistance. The firm that made them say this is exactly normal, it
does raise slight concern whether this all gets tighter as things warm up,
but apparently thermal expansion has been allowed for in the allows of the
design. The only play I can find on this screw now is the end float on the
thrust races.

I looked at the other screw I have not stripped on my X axis, and this is
about the same.

I do agree that thermal expansion along the bed is going to move all this
out quite a bit.

These are the numbers and measurements that fell out, they don’t seem out of
the ordinary to me, but 2 to 3 thou which you consider normal is to me very
sloppy.

I also work on spark eroders, and wire machines where we have repeatedly cut
carbide and cover to 2 to 3 microns. These machines use antibacklash ball
screws, and are heated to control thermal expansion. I just put the
increased accuracy down to the fact the there is no machining load, no drag
from long thick gib strips etc, but the ball screws are very accurate, as
proven by the work which was measured in the national physics lab.

Dr. Mark Vaughan Ph'D. B.Eng. M0VAU

Managing Director

Vaughan Industries Ltd, reg in UK no 2561068

Water Care Technology Ltd, reg in UK no 4129351

Addr Unit3, Sydney House, Blackwater, Truro, Cornwall, TR4 8HH, UK.
Phone/Fax 44 1872 561288

_____