CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Heck of a time tuning servo motors.

Posted by Greg Jackson
on 2002-10-10 07:47:19 UTC
The problem is most likely in the tune. When you get high current, but
nothing is going anywhere, I suspect you are getting a high oscillating
current and the servo is doing a high frequency hunting.

The problem is difficult to describe without quickly getting into second
order differential equations, root locus plots, and other issues related to
dynamics. Without getting into long textbook discussions, I might give you
a few suggestions:

PID works fine with linear systems. Leadscrews, and their associated
backlash, create a very non-linear system. Conventional PID cannot handle
backlash without serious detuning.

If you have access to the gains, the first one to lose is the integrator,
that's the I term. I would always start out with I as zero. Proportional
will act like a spring, with higher numbers being a stiffer spring.
Derivative will act like an oil filled damper and calm it down a bit. Using
only P and D terms is like tuning a car suspension with springs and shocks.

Also, friction before the backlash will help, like the derivative term in
the controller. Friction after the backlash will hurt and will emphasize
the backlash non-linearity. Tightening the gibs is friction after the
backlash.

G. Jackson