CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Harbor Freight Micro Mill 47158

on 2003-02-13 11:34:37 UTC
Excerpt from the 7x10 lathe group.

Message 80177 of 80178 | Previous | Next [ Up Thread ] Message
Index Msg #

From: "miadsgns <MIADsgns@a...>" <MIADsgns@a...>
Date: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:20 pm
Subject: Re: HF Micro Mill 47158, Equipment, Service

I have been looking hard to find a suitable CNC retrofit kit for this
47158. I thought I start looking first and if I can't find it then do
it from scratch myself.

I will soon know more about the conversion, I have posted requests at
various groups and to different vendors for possible retrofits
available for this particular size micro mill. So far nothing, but I
am still waiting for responses from a few people that sell/deal with
CNC retrofits.

The more I look and study this simple micro mill, for the time being
siting on top of my desk, the more I like the machine!!! happy I
bought it! and already considering purchasing a couple more. I can't
wait to retrofit it. It weights about 100 lbs easy for an average
strong person with a good back to move it around and it sits very
well next to my design PC in my office, not the shop.

I sincerely believe the 47158 will kick butt and be, just as, or
perhaps, more versatile than my Sherlines, fitted with CNC have been
as prototyping and low productions micro set ups.

Common sense dictates that the 47158's greater mass and larger and
better leadscrews already provide a good base for CNC. Once again, I
am looking at the 47158 to do small molds for me, it is perfect for
such, I think, and also for model work, so the table size need not be
too large and repetition is not so much a concern for me since It
will not be set up as a production unit but rather as a prototyping
inexpensive micro tooling mill, although I have no doubt that if
properly set up it is capable of being operated also as a small
production unit.

All this talk is exciting and it has begun to generate some interest
in people in other forums. HF should pay me a dividend of sales
because I think I am,will be increasing their sales with all this
talk about convertion to CNC:)

Seriously, If anyone else is seriously looking at this machine I am
sure you'll see what I am talking about. Heck for $300 you can't
beat it! add a decent inexpensive retrofit and every single modeler,
small shop will probably want one.

I encourage anyone seriously following my path, with this machine and
if you have the knowledge, to consider putting together an
inexpensive CNC retrofit. I am not into the business of retrofitting
machines and selling such kits, but If I can not find a retrofit, I
will try to work with companies interested and make a kit available
for those that may want one. Who knows? someone may have already
tapped into this and is probably thinking along the sames lines I am.

Call me if anyone cares to discuss this privately.

Mario 480-218-6334

Discussion Thread

miadsgns <MIADSGNS@a... 2003-02-11 12:21:43 UTC Harbor Freight Micro Mill 47158 j.guenther 2003-02-11 13:01:01 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Harbor Freight Micro Mill 47158 miadsgns <MIADSGNS@a... 2003-02-11 14:24:44 UTC Re: Harbor Freight Micro Mill 47158 Randy Gordon-Gilmore 2003-02-11 15:28:56 UTC Re: Harbor Freight Micro Mill 47158 ballendo <ballendo@y... 2003-02-12 08:02:37 UTC Re: Harbor Freight Micro Mill 47158 miadsgns <MIADSGNS@a... 2003-02-12 10:07:56 UTC Re: Harbor Freight Micro Mill 47158 turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2003-02-12 19:14:27 UTC Re: Harbor Freight Micro Mill 47158 miadsgns <MIADSGNS@a... 2003-02-13 11:34:37 UTC Re: Harbor Freight Micro Mill 47158 Randy Gordon-Gilmore 2003-02-13 13:40:01 UTC Re: Harbor Freight Micro Mill 47158 Randy Gordon-Gilmore 2003-02-13 13:48:09 UTC Re: Harbor Freight Micro Mill 47158 Jack Sullivan 2003-02-13 13:51:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Harbor Freight Micro Mill 47158 ballendo <ballendo@y... 2003-02-16 16:59:52 UTC Re: Harbor Freight Micro Mill 47158