CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop?

Posted by Tom Hubin
on 2004-08-21 13:54:41 UTC
miguel_cubillas wrote:

> Can anyone out there recommend a vacuum cleaner for the home machine
> shop? I'm mainly interested in being able to suck up metal chips out
> of hard to reach places on my lathe and milling machines. Is a 2-
> stage model required for this type of application?
>
> Thanks

Hello Miguel,

I use a small wet/dry Shop Vac model 2010. Size is about 1 foot by 1
foot by 1 foot. Maybe a little taller than 1 foot. Tube is about 1.5
inch or so inside diameter. Clogs easily if lots of chips. Also,
flycutting chips cling together like velcro and really clog the tube.
Sweep up what you can and just vacuum the fine remains.

I also bought some small attachments to get into tight spots. That helps
if I want to vacuum chips near the endmill as they are created.

Got mine two years ago at Zimmerman's Ace Hardware in Burtonsville MD. I
think the vacuum was about $35 and the acessories about $15. Maybe
closer to $60 total.

A couple of small complaints.

1) It is loud but so are many other vacuum cleaners.

2) It is top heavy. The motor is located in the lid. A real pain to open
and empty. When you open it the chips fall out and make a mess. Open
only over someplace where you can spill a lot of metal chips and dust. I
usually put the vacuum in a large box to open and empty into the box.

3) If the hose is clogged you need to remove the hose to shove a
broomstick in and clear it. The hose is attached between the lid and the
bucket. To remove the hose you need to remove the lid. Then all the
chips come tumbling out. So avoid clogging the hose.

4) The small attachment has worn to the point that it does not stay
attached to the adaptor. Attachments and hose are plastic with friction
fit and the friction fit wears and becomes loose if you attach and
detach often. Tape will keep attachment on but inconvenient if you want
to swap with another attachment.

Tom Hubin
thubin@...

Discussion Thread

miguel_cubillas 2004-08-21 13:06:39 UTC Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop? Tom Hubin 2004-08-21 13:54:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop? miguel_cubillas 2004-08-21 14:59:50 UTC Re: Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop? Jon Elson 2004-08-21 21:46:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop? miguel_cubillas 2004-08-21 23:04:23 UTC Re: Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop? Doug Chartier 2004-08-22 00:06:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop? miguel_cubillas 2004-08-22 00:54:13 UTC Re: Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop? josef wagner 2004-08-22 01:10:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop? miguel_cubillas 2004-08-22 01:54:39 UTC Re: Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop? JanRwl@A... 2004-08-28 19:34:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop? Stephan Kotze 2004-08-29 23:41:14 UTC Re: Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop? miguel_cubillas 2004-08-30 12:58:45 UTC Re: Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop?