CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop?

on 2004-08-21 14:59:50 UTC
Thanks Tom.

Miguel

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hubin <thubin@e...>
wrote:
> miguel_cubillas wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone out there recommend a vacuum cleaner for the home
machine
> > shop? I'm mainly interested in being able to suck up metal chips
out
> > of hard to reach places on my lathe and milling machines. Is a 2-
> > stage model required for this type of application?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Hello Miguel,
>
> I use a small wet/dry Shop Vac model 2010. Size is about 1 foot by
1
> foot by 1 foot. Maybe a little taller than 1 foot. Tube is about
1.5
> inch or so inside diameter. Clogs easily if lots of chips. Also,
> flycutting chips cling together like velcro and really clog the
tube.
> Sweep up what you can and just vacuum the fine remains.
>
> I also bought some small attachments to get into tight spots. That
helps
> if I want to vacuum chips near the endmill as they are created.
>
> Got mine two years ago at Zimmerman's Ace Hardware in Burtonsville
MD. I
> think the vacuum was about $35 and the acessories about $15. Maybe
> closer to $60 total.
>
> A couple of small complaints.
>
> 1) It is loud but so are many other vacuum cleaners.
>
> 2) It is top heavy. The motor is located in the lid. A real pain
to open
> and empty. When you open it the chips fall out and make a mess.
Open
> only over someplace where you can spill a lot of metal chips and
dust. I
> usually put the vacuum in a large box to open and empty into the
box.

> 3) If the hose is clogged you need to remove the hose to shove a
> broomstick in and clear it. The hose is attached between the lid
and the
> bucket. To remove the hose you need to remove the lid. Then all the
> chips come tumbling out. So avoid clogging the hose.
>
> 4) The small attachment has worn to the point that it does not stay
> attached to the adaptor. Attachments and hose are plastic with
friction
> fit and the friction fit wears and becomes loose if you attach and
> detach often. Tape will keep attachment on but inconvenient if you
want
> to swap with another attachment.
>
> Tom Hubin
> thubin@e...

Discussion Thread

miguel_cubillas 2004-08-21 13:06:39 UTC Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop? Tom Hubin 2004-08-21 13:54:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop? miguel_cubillas 2004-08-21 14:59:50 UTC Re: Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop? Jon Elson 2004-08-21 21:46:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop? miguel_cubillas 2004-08-21 23:04:23 UTC Re: Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop? Doug Chartier 2004-08-22 00:06:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop? miguel_cubillas 2004-08-22 00:54:13 UTC Re: Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop? josef wagner 2004-08-22 01:10:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop? miguel_cubillas 2004-08-22 01:54:39 UTC Re: Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop? JanRwl@A... 2004-08-28 19:34:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop? Stephan Kotze 2004-08-29 23:41:14 UTC Re: Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop? miguel_cubillas 2004-08-30 12:58:45 UTC Re: Can anyone recommend a vacuum for the machine shop?