CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: using a stepper motor for spindle on a lathe

Posted by Bob Muse
on 2006-01-13 15:58:32 UTC
Hi Keith

You might want to consider using a large sized servo motor on the spindle
rather than a stepper. I think your power requirements for this application
are beyond what a stepper is capable of. A servo will have a greater speed
range and available torque than a stepper. Servos are available that take
step/direction input just like a stepper motor. I am not that familiar with
machX although I am sure it can do the job, I just use a different program,
CNCPro. You might need to have a couple of different machine configuration
files depending on what you want to do.

The thing to remember about running a machine's axis' on gcode is that
everything is based on position. So to just run the spindle like a lathe
spindle, you could program in however many revolutions (in degrees) that it
will take to complete the cut. It might be easier to use the analog input
to the servo amp to just set a spindle velocity. Many servo amps have
selectable inputs step/dir, +/- 10v analog, serial communication etc.

What you want to do should be quite feasible.

If you are interested I have a couple of large servo motor/amps which take
step/ dir etc and might work for you. Email me off list for more info.

Regards,
Bob