CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips

on 2006-08-14 09:18:00 UTC
violent agreement indeed, except for your assumption
of what most folks consider high speed.

If we assume Gecko drives microstepping at 10 micro-
steps per full step and the known appx. 20KHz PWM
rate, then we get a possible 10 rev. per second or
600 RPM with microstepping still nominally functioning.

Apply this to a Bridgeport with 5 TPI screws and
2:1 gearing (typical of Boss series) and you get
60 inches per minute. Not blindingly fast, but a
long ways from slow.

Cheers,
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Mattison"
<mattison20@...> wrote:

> This diagram illustrates my point nicely. We may be in violent
agreement, as
> we used to say at Intel. The ramp time at the beginning of each
step depends
> on motor inductance and power supply voltage. It cannot be reduced
without
> changing one of those variables. The reciprocal of that time is the
> frequency at which the chopper (PWM, fixed off-time or whatever)
ceases to
> have any effect. On this diagram it is a little more than half the
period of
> the step frequency, so let's say for the sake of argument the
> chopper-irrelevant frequency would be 2*460, or about 920 steps per
second.
> That's well below the top speed of most motors I know of. One thing
is
> indisputable: there is no microstepping unless the chopper can
modulate the
> current.
>
> So the question is, at what step rate can the chopper modulate the
current
> in a meaningful way? If you look at a 16x microstepping drive, the
> literature claims to provide 8 different current levels during a
single
> motor step (8 ramping up, 8 ramping down.) Best case, the chopper
would have
> to operate for at least 16 cycles during the motor step. That means
the
> chopper is relevant only at full-step rates at or below 1/16th of
the
> chopper frequency, which commonly seems to be 20 or 30 KHz. In
other words,
> maybe 1000 to 2000 steps per second, depending on the motor. As we
have
> seen, beyond that it doesn't matter anyway because the chopper does
nothing.

> I would suggest that what microstepping really buys you is the
ability to
> operate the motor in the resonance frequency range with less chance
of
> stalling, and that contrary to many comments I have seen, it has
little or
> no effect on high-speed performance. I suspect that drivers
offering the
> best high-speed performance simply have better control of their
switching
> times.
> --
> Phil Mattison
> http://www.ohmikron.com/

I'll add
> [...]
the
> > armature at other places. The high quality micro-steppers
simulate a two
> > sine waves offset by 90 degrees and the armature smoothly moves
between
> the
> > detenting magnetic poles. (There's more to this but this is the
simple
> > explanation).
> >

> > Another interesting phenomenon that the scope photo shows clearly
is why
> the
> > torque drops off as the motor turns faster. If the step pulses
were
> > happening twice as fast, the photo would show the current rising
to about
> > half of the ramp before the direction of the current was
changed. Less
> > current, less torque. In fact it wouldn't even start chopping.
> >
> > If the step rate increases to a point where the current hasn't a
chance to
> > begin to flow, the armature just locks up and doesn't move. No
current,
> no
> > torque.
> >
> > Finally, if the applied voltage was changed to a higher value
then the
> slope
> > of the ramp would be steeper and maximum current would be reached
faster.
> > The back emf value doesn't change because the back emf is based
on the
> > current flowing through the windings when it's interrupted at the
motor
> > speed; not the applied voltage.
> >
> > And, if I used a low inductance motor here instead of a surplus
high
> > inductance motor, the slope of the current curve would also be
> dramatically
> > steeper. That also results in more torque at medium RPM and a
higher top
> > speed.
> >
> > Hope that helps a bit.
> >
> > John Dammeyer
> >

> > Addresses:
> > Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
> >
> > Subscribe: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
> timg@...
> > Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@...
> [Moderators]
> > URL to this group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO
> >
> > OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> > If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
reach it if
> you have trouble.
> > http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

to be a
> sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT
> subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
> >
> > NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY
POSTING THEM.
> DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> > bill
> > List Mom
> > List Owner
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Links

Discussion Thread

Phil Mattison 2006-08-13 11:35:32 UTC Microstepping thru the Tulips Mariss Freimanis 2006-08-13 12:50:54 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips turbulatordude 2006-08-13 13:57:07 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Mariss Freimanis 2006-08-13 15:18:28 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Wayne C. Gramlich 2006-08-13 18:08:18 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Phil Mattison 2006-08-13 18:21:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Steve Stallings 2006-08-13 18:44:08 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Mariss Freimanis 2006-08-13 19:18:36 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Jon Elson 2006-08-13 22:17:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips John Dammeyer 2006-08-13 23:54:31 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips lcdpublishing 2006-08-14 04:44:35 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Graham Stabler 2006-08-14 05:04:52 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Phil Mattison 2006-08-14 08:36:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Steve Stallings 2006-08-14 09:18:00 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips turbulatordude 2006-08-14 09:33:08 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Mariss Freimanis 2006-08-14 17:39:57 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Dennis Schmitz 2006-08-14 19:41:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips turbulatordude 2006-08-14 19:48:01 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Mariss Freimanis 2006-08-14 20:21:07 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Henrik Olsson 2006-08-15 02:58:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips turbulatordude 2006-08-15 07:23:23 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Phil Mattison 2006-08-15 08:27:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips lcdpublishing 2006-08-15 08:55:36 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Les Newell 2006-08-15 09:26:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Les Newell 2006-08-15 09:32:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Mariss Freimanis 2006-08-15 10:16:27 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Graham Stabler 2006-08-15 12:13:26 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Mariss Freimanis 2006-08-15 13:37:34 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Graham Stabler 2006-08-15 16:03:35 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Paul Kelly 2006-08-15 17:43:39 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Mariss Freimanis 2006-08-15 20:00:13 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Graham Stabler 2006-08-16 02:18:22 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Les Newell 2006-08-16 02:26:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips turbulatordude 2006-08-16 08:53:07 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Les Newell 2006-08-16 09:22:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips