CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips

on 2006-08-14 19:41:24 UTC
My random thoughts about stepper speed, in case you're interested.

Thinking of the problem from the perspective of requirements, what is the
maximum speed you can get out of a stepper? Consider it as a two phase AC
servo, driven with sine wave inputs. As the frequency of the input goes up,
the current lags and falls in amplitude. Eventually the reactance of the
motor can't be compensated to maintain current limited by the voltage rating
of the windings.

Clearly low inductance, high current steppers can be operated faster. Used
to be that a tradeoff existed in power amps preferring lower current and
higher voltages. MOSFETs get better every year and now there's no real
reason to design in the low-inductance steppers from the beginning.

In any case, you can calculate your maximum frequency from your power supply
voltage and current drive. Just an outside bound. Ideally, you'd like a PWM
at least 2x with at least 8 bits resolution. In any case cheap FPGAs can run
500MHz and can be had with built-in multipliers.

So what's to keep an FPGA connected to a power amp from being a universal
motor controller? (Other than someone has to write the code.)

On 8/14/06, Steve Stallings <stevesng@...> wrote:

> violent agreement indeed, except for your assumption
> of what most folks consider high speed.
>
> If we assume Gecko drives microstepping at 10 micro-
> steps per full step and the known appx. 20KHz PWM
> rate, then we get a possible 10 rev. per second or
> 600 RPM with microstepping still nominally functioning.
>
> Apply this to a Bridgeport with 5 TPI screws and
> 2:1 gearing (typical of Boss series) and you get
> 60 inches per minute. Not blindingly fast, but a
> long ways from slow.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Stallings
> www.PMDX.com
>

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Mattison"
> <mattison20@...> wrote:
> >
> > This diagram illustrates my point nicely. We may be in violent
> agreement, as
> > we used to say at Intel. The ramp time at the beginning of each
> step depends
> > on motor inductance and power supply voltage. It cannot be reduced
> without
> > changing one of those variables. The reciprocal of that time is the
> > frequency at which the chopper (PWM, fixed off-time or whatever)
> ceases to
> > have any effect. On this diagram it is a little more than half the
> period of
> > the step frequency, so let's say for the sake of argument the
> > chopper-irrelevant frequency would be 2*460, or about 920 steps per
> second.
> > That's well below the top speed of most motors I know of. One thing
> is
> > indisputable: there is no microstepping unless the chopper can
> modulate the
> > current.
> >
> > So the question is, at what step rate can the chopper modulate the
> current
> > in a meaningful way? If you look at a 16x microstepping drive, the
> > literature claims to provide 8 different current levels during a
> single
> > motor step (8 ramping up, 8 ramping down.) Best case, the chopper
> would have
> > to operate for at least 16 cycles during the motor step. That means
> the
> > chopper is relevant only at full-step rates at or below 1/16th of
> the
> > chopper frequency, which commonly seems to be 20 or 30 KHz. In
> other words,
> > maybe 1000 to 2000 steps per second, depending on the motor. As we
> have
> > seen, beyond that it doesn't matter anyway because the chopper does
> nothing.
> >
> > I would suggest that what microstepping really buys you is the
> ability to
> > operate the motor in the resonance frequency range with less chance
> of
> > stalling, and that contrary to many comments I have seen, it has
> little or
> [...]

Phil Mattison 2006-08-13 11:35:32 UTC Microstepping thru the Tulips Mariss Freimanis 2006-08-13 12:50:54 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips turbulatordude 2006-08-13 13:57:07 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Mariss Freimanis 2006-08-13 15:18:28 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Wayne C. Gramlich 2006-08-13 18:08:18 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Phil Mattison 2006-08-13 18:21:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Steve Stallings 2006-08-13 18:44:08 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Mariss Freimanis 2006-08-13 19:18:36 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Jon Elson 2006-08-13 22:17:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips John Dammeyer 2006-08-13 23:54:31 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips lcdpublishing 2006-08-14 04:44:35 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Graham Stabler 2006-08-14 05:04:52 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Phil Mattison 2006-08-14 08:36:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Steve Stallings 2006-08-14 09:18:00 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips turbulatordude 2006-08-14 09:33:08 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Mariss Freimanis 2006-08-14 17:39:57 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Dennis Schmitz 2006-08-14 19:41:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips turbulatordude 2006-08-14 19:48:01 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Mariss Freimanis 2006-08-14 20:21:07 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Henrik Olsson 2006-08-15 02:58:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips turbulatordude 2006-08-15 07:23:23 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Phil Mattison 2006-08-15 08:27:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips lcdpublishing 2006-08-15 08:55:36 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Les Newell 2006-08-15 09:26:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Les Newell 2006-08-15 09:32:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Mariss Freimanis 2006-08-15 10:16:27 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Graham Stabler 2006-08-15 12:13:26 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Mariss Freimanis 2006-08-15 13:37:34 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Graham Stabler 2006-08-15 16:03:35 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Paul Kelly 2006-08-15 17:43:39 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Mariss Freimanis 2006-08-15 20:00:13 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Graham Stabler 2006-08-16 02:18:22 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Les Newell 2006-08-16 02:26:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips turbulatordude 2006-08-16 08:53:07 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Les Newell 2006-08-16 09:22:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips