CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips

on 2006-08-14 20:21:07 UTC
1) It doesn't even take an FPGA; a lowly 64-macrocell CPLD does the
job nicely. No configuration EEPROM and JTAG controller to deal with
that way.

2) 500MHz is like garlic to a vampire in a drive circuit. A 500 MHz
FPGA responds to 1nS-wide noise pulses and a motor drive is very rich
in noise. Get the slowest part you can and wish it was slower yet.

3) Motor power output is proportional to V / SQRT L. MOSFETs, circuit
design and such have no bearing on this identity.

4) Step motors typically have a +/-5% non-accumulative tolerance.
This means the ultimate open-loop accuracy is 1:2,000 for a 1.8-
degree motor or 1/10th of a full step. Using the time-tested idea
that your'e doing OK if your circuit accuracy is one order of better
than what you are controlling, a 7-bit DAC is dandy.

5) PWM fequency and microstep resolution have no relationship at all.
Please see message #89337 that directs you to pictures that prove it.

6) What does it take? Actually a bunch of other stuff, mostly analog.
Mid-band resonance compensation, short-circuit protection, reverse
polarity protection, standby current, current set, sine to full-step
reference morphing, etc, etc.

Why analog? Take current set as an example: We agreed a 7-bit
resolution for a particular current is dandy. It is also reasonable
to have a 0.1A to 7A current set range. This is about a 6-bit range;
to do it directly would require a 13-bit DAC. Not something I'd like
to do without fear.

Mariss

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Schmitz"
<denschmitz@...> wrote:

> My random thoughts about stepper speed, in case you're interested.
>
> Thinking of the problem from the perspective of requirements, what
is the
> maximum speed you can get out of a stepper? Consider it as a two
phase AC
> servo, driven with sine wave inputs. As the frequency of the input
goes up,
> the current lags and falls in amplitude. Eventually the reactance
of the
> motor can't be compensated to maintain current limited by the
voltage rating
> of the windings.
>
> Clearly low inductance, high current steppers can be operated
faster. Used
> to be that a tradeoff existed in power amps preferring lower
current and
> higher voltages. MOSFETs get better every year and now there's no
real
> reason to design in the low-inductance steppers from the beginning.
>
> In any case, you can calculate your maximum frequency from your
power supply
> voltage and current drive. Just an outside bound. Ideally, you'd
like a PWM
> at least 2x with at least 8 bits resolution. In any case cheap
FPGAs can run
> [...]
> > Steve Stallings
> > www.PMDX.com
> >

> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Mattison"
> > <mattison20@> wrote:
> > >
> > > This diagram illustrates my point nicely. We may be in violent
> > agreement, as
> > > we used to say at Intel. The ramp time at the beginning of each
> > step depends
> > > on motor inductance and power supply voltage. It cannot be
reduced
> > without
> > > changing one of those variables. The reciprocal of that time is
the
> > > frequency at which the chopper (PWM, fixed off-time or whatever)
> > ceases to
> > > have any effect. On this diagram it is a little more than half
the
> > period of
> > > the step frequency, so let's say for the sake of argument the
> > > chopper-irrelevant frequency would be 2*460, or about 920 steps
per
> > second.
> > > That's well below the top speed of most motors I know of. One
thing
> > is
> > > indisputable: there is no microstepping unless the chopper can
> > modulate the
> > > current.
> > >
> > > So the question is, at what step rate can the chopper modulate
the
> > current
> > > in a meaningful way? If you look at a 16x microstepping drive,
the
> > > literature claims to provide 8 different current levels during a
> > single
> > > motor step (8 ramping up, 8 ramping down.) Best case, the
chopper
> > would have
> > > to operate for at least 16 cycles during the motor step. That
means
> > the
> > > chopper is relevant only at full-step rates at or below 1/16th
of
> > the
> > > chopper frequency, which commonly seems to be 20 or 30 KHz. In
> > other words,
> > > maybe 1000 to 2000 steps per second, depending on the motor. As
we
> > have
> > > seen, beyond that it doesn't matter anyway because the chopper
does
> > nothing.
> > >
> > > I would suggest that what microstepping really buys you is the
> > ability to
> > > operate the motor in the resonance frequency range with less
chance
> > of
> > > stalling, and that contrary to many comments I have seen, it has
> > little or
> > > no effect on high-speed performance. I suspect that drivers
> > offering the
> > > best high-speed performance simply have better control of their

If
> > you look
> > > at
This
> > may be
> > reference
> > > is
> > only 1.5

> > the
> > > armature
> > holds
> > > the
> > the
> > simulate a two
> > between
> > > the
> > simple

> > is why
> > > the
> > were
> > to about
> > changed. Less

> > chance to
No

wanliker@,
> > > timg@
> > > [Moderators]

> > > aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
> > reach it if
> > > you have trouble.

> > to be a
> > > sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
> > there, for OT
> > > subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

> > POSTING THEM.
> > > DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........

> > Addresses:
> > Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
> >
> > Subscribe: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
> > timg@...
> > Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@...
> > [Moderators]
> > URL to this group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO
> >
> > OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> > If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
> > aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
reach it
> > if you have trouble.
> > http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

to be a
> > sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT
> > subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
> >
> > NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
> > THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO
EXCEPTIONS........
> > bill
> > List Mom
> > List Owner
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Links

Phil Mattison 2006-08-13 11:35:32 UTC Microstepping thru the Tulips Mariss Freimanis 2006-08-13 12:50:54 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips turbulatordude 2006-08-13 13:57:07 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Mariss Freimanis 2006-08-13 15:18:28 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Wayne C. Gramlich 2006-08-13 18:08:18 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Phil Mattison 2006-08-13 18:21:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Steve Stallings 2006-08-13 18:44:08 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Mariss Freimanis 2006-08-13 19:18:36 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Jon Elson 2006-08-13 22:17:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips John Dammeyer 2006-08-13 23:54:31 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips lcdpublishing 2006-08-14 04:44:35 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Graham Stabler 2006-08-14 05:04:52 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Phil Mattison 2006-08-14 08:36:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Steve Stallings 2006-08-14 09:18:00 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips turbulatordude 2006-08-14 09:33:08 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Mariss Freimanis 2006-08-14 17:39:57 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Dennis Schmitz 2006-08-14 19:41:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips turbulatordude 2006-08-14 19:48:01 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Mariss Freimanis 2006-08-14 20:21:07 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Henrik Olsson 2006-08-15 02:58:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips turbulatordude 2006-08-15 07:23:23 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Phil Mattison 2006-08-15 08:27:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips lcdpublishing 2006-08-15 08:55:36 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Les Newell 2006-08-15 09:26:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Les Newell 2006-08-15 09:32:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Mariss Freimanis 2006-08-15 10:16:27 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Graham Stabler 2006-08-15 12:13:26 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Mariss Freimanis 2006-08-15 13:37:34 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Graham Stabler 2006-08-15 16:03:35 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Paul Kelly 2006-08-15 17:43:39 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Mariss Freimanis 2006-08-15 20:00:13 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Graham Stabler 2006-08-16 02:18:22 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Les Newell 2006-08-16 02:26:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips turbulatordude 2006-08-16 08:53:07 UTC Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips Les Newell 2006-08-16 09:22:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Microstepping thru the Tulips