CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er)

Posted by John Hansford
on 2007-05-08 00:39:46 UTC
It said that when I posted that, but it was probably in the
process of being updated at that time. You see where I
mentioned that in my next post...

I'm mostly interested in them for my Geckos.

I have a torroid that puts out 68VDC and with my 2.8V 3A
motors, that's getting close to the 25x rating mark.

I thought the general consensus was to stay closer to 20x
voltage rating...

Thanks Ballendo! it's all Very interesting to me :)

John

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "ballendo" <ballendo@...> wrote:

> Hello John,
>
> Are you sure that's not the spec on the 200 0z-in motors?
> (Those "should be" in that range; data sheet says 2.2mH)
>
> I'd not believe that for the 305's based on the other specs given.
> (My data sheet for an "equivalent"(see previous comments) motor
> shows 6.8mH for unipolar and bipolar-parallel; with a whopping 27.2
> for bipolar series.)
>
> However, if it WERE true... Then yes, it would "make them sound any
> better".
>
> Yes, prices for steppers mowadays ARE very good.
>
> Ballendo
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "John Hansford" <kz1927@>
> wrote:
> >
> > The Hobbycnc site says the inductance is 2.3mH...does
> > that make them sound any better?
> >
> > $45.00 *seems* like a good price...
> >
> > Thanks!
> > John
> >

> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "ballendo" <ballendo@>

> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Another increase in stepper motor torque! Sounds great!
> > >
> > > (But there's a fly in the ointment, and nobody seems to be
> telling
> > > you about it. IMO it's time somebody did...)
> > >
> > > Let's review a couple things about stepper motors, and let's
> look at
> > > some published facts about motors likely to be VERY similar to
> the
> > > ones just announced, and the earlier/formerly "greatly increased
> > > performance" motors. (Quotes just above are for MY emphasis, NOT
> > > direct quote from someone else.)
> > >
> > > I don't know for sure where Dave R gets his motors; but I do
> know
> > > that most of us selling motors with these specs are using the
> same
> > > motors... Made by the MS motor company in China, and many in the
> USA
> > > will source them from John at KelingINC.net
> > >
> > > So, let's review:
> > >
> > > Most of the time the Stepper torque published and mentioned is
> > > HOLDING torque. It's the biggest number, so it sounds the best
> for
> > > marketing. It's also the way steppers have been identified for
> > > decades. (Probably due to the previous sentence!<G>) BUT...
> > >
> > > It's important to realise... The motor will ONLY have this much
> > > torque when it is STOPPED. As soon as it starts to turn, the
> torque
> > > goes DOWN. FOR ALL stepper MOTORS. Regardless of drive type
> (bipolar
> > > vs. unipolar)
> > >
> > > How FAR down, and how FAST the torque drops, and along
> what "shape"
> > > or "Curve" depends upon some things about the motor, AND some
> things
> > > about the drive and power supply.
> > >
> > > Every motor is a generator when it turns. This is what causes
> the
> > > motor to lose torque as it goes faster. The important criteria
> for
> [...]

Discussion Thread

Dave Rigotti 2007-05-06 18:26:13 UTC HobbyCNC New Updated CNC Packages with 305oz Steppers! ballendo 2007-05-07 02:24:20 UTC Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) ballendo 2007-05-07 02:36:17 UTC OT re More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) mvcalypso 2007-05-07 08:41:22 UTC Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) R Rogers 2007-05-07 09:46:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:305oz Steppers! CNC resource laboratory actual torque. Tony Jeffree 2007-05-07 10:33:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) David G. LeVine 2007-05-07 10:58:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) lcdpublishing 2007-05-07 15:01:24 UTC Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) John Hansford 2007-05-07 16:21:26 UTC Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) Paul Kelly 2007-05-07 16:28:50 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) John Hansford 2007-05-07 22:15:52 UTC Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) Peter Homann 2007-05-07 23:08:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) John Hansford 2007-05-07 23:16:46 UTC Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) Peter Homann 2007-05-07 23:47:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) John Hansford 2007-05-08 00:09:03 UTC Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) ballendo 2007-05-08 00:17:18 UTC Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) John Hansford 2007-05-08 00:39:46 UTC Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) ballendo 2007-05-08 01:26:49 UTC Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) ballendo 2007-05-08 01:42:07 UTC Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) optics22000 2007-05-08 07:53:09 UTC Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) Dan Mauch 2007-05-08 09:03:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) Alan KM6VV 2007-05-08 10:50:52 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) Dan Mauch 2007-05-08 13:08:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) Andrey Lipavsky 2007-05-08 13:34:53 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) Philip Burman 2007-05-08 14:43:22 UTC Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) Alan KM6VV 2007-05-08 14:55:42 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) R Rogers 2007-05-08 15:46:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, CNCresource laboratory?? David G. LeVine 2007-05-08 17:51:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) ballendo 2007-05-08 18:03:32 UTC Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, CNCresource laboratory?? Dan Mauch 2007-05-08 19:18:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, Scotty!!!! (Shes' breaking up, I cannah hold'er) Philip Burman 2007-05-09 12:27:08 UTC Re:305oz Steppers! More torque, inertia conversion optics22000 2007-05-11 08:06:07 UTC stepper motor inertia Dan Mauch 2007-05-11 09:14:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper motor inertia Bob Muse 2007-05-11 17:49:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper motor inertia optics22000 2007-05-11 19:12:56 UTC Re: stepper motor inertia optics22000 2007-05-11 19:22:25 UTC Re: stepper motor inertia Philip Burman 2007-05-13 05:08:26 UTC Re: stepper motor inertia optics22000 2007-05-14 05:25:49 UTC Re: stepper motor inertia Abby Katt 2007-05-16 12:09:30 UTC Stepper motor flamewar time! (Hybrid vs wooden-magnet steppers) :)