CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner}

Posted by caudlet
on 2007-10-05 10:26:11 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "John Hansford" <kz1927@...>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been thinking for a while now that there
> needs to be a group for the cnc related small
> business to offer support and advice for each
> other. Also to those beginning, considering or
> otherwise just interested in a small business,
> this support and help could be a very good thing.
>
> CNC machines are very accessible today and they
> open doors for small scale manufacturing of goods
> of unlimited types. The average person can now
> make use of this technology and possibly add
> income or make his future even brighter.
>
> There are those in the community that are recognized
> leaders. Their input and advice would be of
> immense value to someone starting out or to
> anyone who may be simply thinking about trying
> to make a go of a tiny home business.
>
> I have no idea if this is of any interest, but I
> set up a group to at least try.
>
> I named the group cnc_mmg. That stands for CNC
> Micro Manufacturers Guild. Being as I'm far from
> qualified to run such a thing, I'd give control
> of that group over to someone who would be.
> They'd set the agenda and we'd all go from there.

> Who knows...maybe it'll work!
>
> Thanks
> John Hansford
> fireballcnc.com

In the past this group (CCED) has focused on the actual building of
HSCNC (Home Shop CNC) machines. We have considered topics of what you
do with the machine after it's built, such as techniques, work
hold-downs, and how to make money with your machine off topic.

I would like to toss out to the members (and especially the longtime
contributors) the question: would it make the list better if we opened
that focus up some and included the post operation of a HSCNC machine
and discussions that might include some aspects of how to make money
with your machine. The intent would not be to have Business 101
discussions about non-CNC subjects (i.e what's the best accounting
software for my small business) but to offer some feedback to persons
wanting to start a part-time or even full-time business using their
CNC machine they have built.

Key parts here are that the discussion would need to focus on using a
machine built or retrofitted by a member.It would be off-topic to
discuss "What do I charge for shop time for my Haas VMC" or a
commercial machine but on-topic to talk about how to use a machine you
have built to make money.

This is a stickey subject and perhaps not wanted by the membership.
Feel free to give me your thoughts on or off list.

Tom Caudle
list co-owner

Discussion Thread

John Hansford 2007-10-04 15:56:17 UTC New group idea gawnca 2007-10-05 07:36:40 UTC Re: New group idea smitty 2007-10-05 10:02:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] New group idea caudlet 2007-10-05 10:26:11 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} John Hansford 2007-10-05 13:59:19 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} John Stevenson 2007-10-05 15:31:51 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} Yahoo 2007-10-05 15:55:45 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} turbulatordude 2007-10-05 16:35:21 UTC Re: New group idea Peter Homann 2007-10-05 17:18:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} scyvt 2007-10-07 06:49:36 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} John Hansford 2007-10-07 07:06:30 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} Jon Elson 2007-10-07 12:24:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} Wayne C. Gramlich 2007-10-07 12:38:04 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} Yahoo 2007-10-07 12:56:14 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} Jon Elson 2007-10-07 15:48:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} turbulatordude 2007-10-08 05:17:40 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change - WIKI Graham Stabler 2007-10-08 07:46:42 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change - WIKI scyvt 2007-10-10 05:16:14 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} John Hansford 2007-10-10 07:03:46 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} Yahoo 2007-10-10 08:11:57 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner}