CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner}

Posted by John Hansford
on 2007-10-07 07:06:30 UTC
I WAS unaware of it. I've been here since 2001
(lost my pw for the yahoo name and resigned up
a few different times...)

True...all I had to do was look, But didn't.

The MMG is not only for Off-topic, but Far Off
Topic. The question I'm trying to ask now is
about the necessity of Disclaimers for those
who make or sell a product related to cnc.

No satisfactory answers yet, because of Lack
Of Support from the "community" (which I have
been a member of for +6 years now).

That's most definitely too far off topic for
Any group I'm aware of. But IMHO a vital
and important question for many.

If It fails, I won't be because I didn't
try my best.

John

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "scyvt" <scy@...> wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "caudlet" <thom@> wrote:
>
> > I would like to toss out to the members (and especially the longtime
> > contributors) the question: would it make the list better if we ....
> >
> > This is a stickey subject and perhaps not wanted by the membership.
> > Feel free to give me your thoughts on or off list.
> >
> > Tom Caudle
> > list co-owner
>
> Tom
>
> In my mind there are a couple of major deficiencies of Yahoo groups,
this one included,for
> which there might be workarounds, other than enduring avatars &
animations.

> One is the redundant nature of the large majority of newbie posts,
which could be reduced
> considerably by a truly comprehensive FAQ. Since maintaining such a
FAQ calls for more
> knowlwdge & time than could be expected of any one volunteer (Tim
Goldstein's efforts
> notwithstanding), perhaps a Wiki might serve the purpose better.
Don't know how it could
> be arranged, but if it was not possible to post until you had
consulted the Wiki first?

> Another is the inability to attach pictures to posts. In many cases
the old saw about a
> thousand words is true.
>
> Finally, searching Yahoo archives has, in my experience, been less
than satisfactory. This
> undoubtedly contributes to the aforementioned redundant posts.
Someone mentioned
> Yahoo Plus; presumably this costs $$, but could explain why the free
search is not the
> best.
>
> Regarding specifically the proposed new group, "Micro Manufacturing
Guild" certainly has
> a more up-to-date sound to it than "jobshophomeshop", and might
attract a different set
> of members, but does it really make sense to dilute what seems to be
mostly overlaping
> content into two groups? As to including this content within this
CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO list,
> why even conteplate such a thing when the sister jobshophomeshop
list already addresses
> this topic? The proposer of the MMG list never explained in what way
the
> jobshophomeshop list was deficient. Not to denigrate his proposal,
which on the face of it
> is excellent, but is it possible that he was unaware of the sister
list already in place?

> As far as fewer posts/day on this list - is that necessarily a bad
thing? There was a time
> when the activity on this list was so great that I for one found it
overwhelming - although
> that is my view - perhaps some liked it that way.
>
> In summation, this list is a wonderful resource as it is. If a
tweak such as an associated
> Wiki could be added, I think that would be more useful in a
fundamental way than
> expanding the scope of permitted topics, or encouraging what appears
- as least to the
> partly informed such as myself - to be a duplicative new list.
>
> Just my 2 cents,
>
> Steve Clay-Young

Discussion Thread

John Hansford 2007-10-04 15:56:17 UTC New group idea gawnca 2007-10-05 07:36:40 UTC Re: New group idea smitty 2007-10-05 10:02:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] New group idea caudlet 2007-10-05 10:26:11 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} John Hansford 2007-10-05 13:59:19 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} John Stevenson 2007-10-05 15:31:51 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} Yahoo 2007-10-05 15:55:45 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} turbulatordude 2007-10-05 16:35:21 UTC Re: New group idea Peter Homann 2007-10-05 17:18:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} scyvt 2007-10-07 06:49:36 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} John Hansford 2007-10-07 07:06:30 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} Jon Elson 2007-10-07 12:24:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} Wayne C. Gramlich 2007-10-07 12:38:04 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} Yahoo 2007-10-07 12:56:14 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} Jon Elson 2007-10-07 15:48:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} turbulatordude 2007-10-08 05:17:40 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change - WIKI Graham Stabler 2007-10-08 07:46:42 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change - WIKI scyvt 2007-10-10 05:16:14 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} John Hansford 2007-10-10 07:03:46 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} Yahoo 2007-10-10 08:11:57 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner}