CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner}

scyvt wrote:

> One is the redundant nature of the large majority of newbie posts, which could be reduced
> considerably by a truly comprehensive FAQ. Since maintaining such a FAQ calls for more
> knowlwdge & time than could be expected of any one volunteer (Tim Goldstein's efforts
> notwithstanding), perhaps a Wiki might serve the purpose better. Don't know how it could
> be arranged, but if it was not possible to post until you had consulted the Wiki first?

We have set up a wiki for the EMC cnc program, and it has taken
a while, but it is really getting filled out with details on
various aspects. I am not totally happy with how the wiki works
and is displayed, but it works pretty well for most purposes.
Maybe I am still learning how to do things in it.
> Another is the inability to attach pictures to posts. In many cases the old saw about a
> thousand words is true.

Yes, and that is one of the values of the wiki, once you learn
how to build the pages. I have dropped back to using html
instead of the in-built wiki features to associate the text and
pictures. That is working pretty well.
> Finally, searching Yahoo archives has, in my experience, been less than satisfactory. This
> undoubtedly contributes to the aforementioned redundant posts. Someone mentioned
> Yahoo Plus; presumably this costs $$, but could explain why the free search is not the
> best.
>
> Regarding specifically the proposed new group, "Micro Manufacturing Guild" certainly has
> a more up-to-date sound to it than "jobshophomeshop", and might attract a different set
> of members, but does it really make sense to dilute what seems to be mostly overlaping
> content into two groups? As to including this content within this CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO list,
> why even conteplate such a thing when the sister jobshophomeshop list already addresses
> this topic? The proposer of the MMG list never explained in what way the
> jobshophomeshop list was deficient. Not to denigrate his proposal, which on the face of it
> is excellent, but is it possible that he was unaware of the sister list already in place?
Well, the job shop thing makes me think of guys setting up a
home shop to bid on commercial machining jobs. My personal take
is this is a quick trip to bankruptcy.

The micro manufacturing makes me think more of "captive"
machining, ie. you invent a gadget and start making them
yourself. This can also be a way to bankruptcy, but there is a
certain profit margin in making something that you can;t get
anywhere else - ie. no competition for at least a while.

> As far as fewer posts/day on this list - is that necessarily a bad thing? There was a time
> when the activity on this list was so great that I for one found it overwhelming - although
> that is my view - perhaps some liked it that way.
Yes, I used to have to skim the subject lines, and only read a
few that sounded interesting.

I like the idea of the wiki, and would be glad to try reworking
some of my old stuff from Tim's pages onto the new format. I
did a lot of the G-code list there. I'm sure it is really
stale, now.

John Hansford 2007-10-04 15:56:17 UTC New group idea gawnca 2007-10-05 07:36:40 UTC Re: New group idea smitty 2007-10-05 10:02:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] New group idea caudlet 2007-10-05 10:26:11 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} John Hansford 2007-10-05 13:59:19 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} John Stevenson 2007-10-05 15:31:51 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} Yahoo 2007-10-05 15:55:45 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} turbulatordude 2007-10-05 16:35:21 UTC Re: New group idea Peter Homann 2007-10-05 17:18:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} scyvt 2007-10-07 06:49:36 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} John Hansford 2007-10-07 07:06:30 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} Jon Elson 2007-10-07 12:24:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} Wayne C. Gramlich 2007-10-07 12:38:04 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} Yahoo 2007-10-07 12:56:14 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} Jon Elson 2007-10-07 15:48:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} turbulatordude 2007-10-08 05:17:40 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change - WIKI Graham Stabler 2007-10-08 07:46:42 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change - WIKI scyvt 2007-10-10 05:16:14 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} John Hansford 2007-10-10 07:03:46 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} Yahoo 2007-10-10 08:11:57 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner}