CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Waht does open mean? was Re: Indexer LPT (IX)

Posted by Chris L
on 2002-01-27 17:36:43 UTC
Boy, I think I should have you write my opinions from now on !

Like you, I have no issues with the motion aspect, Just interfacing.
Production Automation Tech probably has the most indepth interface for it. At
$500 and Dos to boot, I just felt like waiting the issue out until someone
who is a programmer would make an interface. I've concluded I am just to old
to learn anything about that.

I'd be confident that some on this list who have spent quite a bit of time
already with new techniques could have easily written an interface in place
of virtually starting from scratch. Because ipx is really pure "motion
control" in capability, I'm pretty convinced that there is not much it would
not have when applying to CNC use, well for my purposes anyhow.

I bought an old Digital and there was some liturature about Crawford. I too
tried to find out where they were now. No luck.

$700 is a bargain in my viewpoint. Many have run out and purchased the Likes
of Ah-ha for plenty more. With Ah-ha, you were stuck in a rigid Dos were even
using a good Dos editor became a problem much less networking easily. Floppy
disk transfers of files just stinks. Indexers issue was always interface. It
may STILL be. We will learn more as some of the first purchasers post here.

I have no problem whatsoever with fellows trying to write the "open" stuff.
Clearly, in the future, It may even be available to me. I have a hunch
though, as you mention it a "challenge" to write an interface alone, That
some of this "open", "ultimate" stuff will be much more challenging than just
an interface. Indexer "did" or "learned" something long ago about contouring
and high step rates without proprietary hardware. That says something....

Attitude.... You would agree I am sure that ArtV is a very nice man. But, I
too feel that if the product was dropped into the hands of some real
"gogetters", Things could be radically different. I wonder how much money it
would cost to buy someone like that out ???

Factory Lab. It sure does seem like a few "lab" machines have used the
product very successfully. I'm talking very precise applications were they
have had unlimited funds to have their own front end developed. This is one
reason Art has been "specific" on the Backlash viewpoint. (Backlash ? Why do
you want that in a precision machine ?) I think I mentioned before, Some
companies put in their "backlash" comp, People read that in the liturature
and then are happy. But, a control with a very good contouring ability it up
to 6 axis does more than just add or subtract steps.

Wiring. I don't know, I think it is not so bad. So you have 3 ports. Most
fellows in this group seem far, far beyond that stage. Newcomers just need to
patiently follow directions and it will work for them too.

Clock. I forgot about that issue. I had it as a stand alone and it did not
matter. Everyone should "bank" on a standalone anyhow.

Eaten up ? Well, that I won't necessarilly agree on. I understnd your points
totally about the opinions there. But, I do feel that if Arts new G-code
interface does not satisfy the masses, someday, someone will recognize
Indexers capability and make an interface that we like.

Maybe a really good "preliminary" project for one of the "Open" advocates in
the group. I'd take indexer with a user configured interface even without the
ability to "change" the source capability ! how about you?

Chris L