CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: windows or dos based NC software

Posted by CL
on 2003-01-22 10:11:16 UTC
sparkness2001 wrote:

>(snip) My win2k pro is
>my daily driver-runs great even with all the software I try on it.
>How do we optimise for cnc, what background services should be
>stopped, what other apps should we run to keep the cnc prog from
>loosing resources.

It is interesting that you indicate things more or less just plain work
on your Win2k box.... I must agree that dumping Win98 for Win2k when it
came out was well worth it. Everything ran faster, and when an errant
app did cause a problem, the whole OS was seldom touched. I've got Win2k
PC's that have not been rebooted for at least a few months with daily use.

I can currently speak from the Flashcut CNC viewpoint in regards
"optimizing" the machine for safe CNC operation. Bottom Line ? Just
install the software and run it. It works. If a background service
causes problems, I have not seen it. I figure IF a background
application does affect operation, either it is one very rare or strange
Service not normally used (doubtful you'd use such a service on a cnc
machine then), or someone did not do their job when developing the
software. The software itself NEEDS to force any service that could
cause a problem into a "hibernation" of sorts so it simply can not cause
a problem. Obviously, Win2k users are familiar with turning off
unecessary services, and if they want to they can, but FC runs right out
of the box in this regard.

Now, I would have thought WinXP would have been a much larger problem
with running Services. But, Even there, I have had no indication that
special installation requirements are met for it to run successfully. I
have not personally run FC on XP and to be honest, other than it being
on my wifes laptop, don't hope to ever have to bother. WinXP has so many
foolish and hidden "Phone Home" services I was just dumbfounded when I
first analyzed it to see if we would ever implement it in our Offices.
These "Phone Home" techniques are even worse when the system is one of
the famous OEM names with their own Gaggle of Garbage and Bundled
Software Installed. Yet, I have not heard of any special instructions
for one to run Flashcut on XP. I am sure that Mr. Fenerty could tell us
a lot more in that regard because I think he really used XP's options
and techniques as the foundation OS for MACH1. I guess one area I am
concerned in is If the Controller computer is on a LAN, which of course
is a huge advantage, And you happen to have DSL 24-7. That rascal "may"
try to be calling the "mothership" without your knowledge, and I can't
say I have run Flashcut on a box with an active Software Firewall like
ZA. So, ??? in that regard.

As a side note, I was dumb enough to install XP for my brother. It had
one major failure within a week that turned out to be nothing more than
a bad stick of ram, but being new to me, I ended up doing a reinstall
because all else failed. Wouldn't you know it would not let me
re-install without calling a Redmond operator ? Unreal. After typing
into my phone a handful of 60 digit numbers and then it still forced me
over to a live person that I repeated it all to AGAIN. RRRRRRGGGGHHH !
No, XP is not my idea for any OS. Wait till "dot.net"......... Yikes.

Processor speed may be a little more important for those running MACH1
over the processor needs of Flashcut because FC still uses outbound
hardware for timing, taking some of the "ooomph" necessary off of the
main processor. However, a quick question in the MACH1 group could
quickly uncover just who has it running on the smallest processor.

Lets start with Flashcuts 16 bit V1. I have run that successfully and
extremely reliably on Win98 with a P100. Earlier than that, I spent a
full year with it under Win95 on a 486. I eventually moved that P100
machine into a P466 Celeron still with Win98 and it ran like a champ. I
also ran the Version 1 under Win2k effortlessly.

As I was able to test the early versions of FlashCuts new Version2, I
noticed some problems with Win98 not being able to handle things
properly, just like MACH1 reportedly does with Win98. After trying Win98
and a faster processor yet, the issues still persisted. So, to continue
testing, I jumped right into Win2k with a PIII 1.3 Celeron. Those little
glitches are history nowdays with Win2k and after all, glitches and
their identification is what beta testing is all about. It is possible
that Version 2 will not ever run properly on Win98, but I think they
are first now able to study that, now that it is running perfectly on
Win2k-XP.

Here is my next move, I do have a Slot 1 Celeron 300a that had been
running O'C'd at 450 for a few years with Win2k on it. I am going to now
try to see if that little old processor can handle Version 2 both at
450mhz, and at 300mhz. I suspect it will, with the only detectable
"speed" differences in the "load times" of large code, "file checking"
as it looks and loads everything into its enhanced continuous motion
routines, and of course redraw times. I doubt there will be any
difference in how it actually runs the files. That test will probably
happen this weekend, because I need to move that computer on to a new
life, as I venture into Linux a little more via Xandros or Lindows. (
anyone experienced with that, feel free to e-mail me with recommendations)

I know some others who visit this group use Flashcut or have been
testing Version 2. Maybe they will indicate what processor speed they
have been using and what their results have been. MACH1 has a group of
their own and much can be gained by looking thru that group in regards
what you need to run that.

Also keep in mind Flashcut and MACH1 are not alone in this field. For
all pratical purposes IndexerLPT accomplishes the same "windows"
convenience. There is WindeskNC, which is not somehow wrapped into a
Package Fred Smith Sells as of recently. I know of someone who just
bought that to put on a machine.

There are others too, but you might have to look harder to get input
about them.

This should address some of your concerns.
Thanks,
Chris L

Discussion Thread

sparkness2001 <mark@c... 2003-01-21 07:29:46 UTC windows or dos based NC software James Owens 2003-01-21 12:41:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] windows or dos based NC software Art 2003-01-21 14:23:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] windows or dos based NC software CL 2003-01-21 15:23:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] windows or dos based NC software Art 2003-01-21 15:53:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] windows or dos based NC software James Owens 2003-01-21 16:01:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] windows or dos based NC software James Cullins 2003-01-21 17:01:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] windows or dos based NC software zestronad54529 <dpeter@n... 2003-01-21 17:49:56 UTC Re: windows or dos based NC software Jack Coats 2003-01-21 17:59:44 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] windows or dos based NC software Jack Coats 2003-01-21 17:59:48 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] windows or dos based NC software Les Watts 2003-01-21 18:00:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: windows or dos based NC software James Owens 2003-01-21 18:04:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] windows or dos based NC software Carol & Jerry Jankura 2003-01-21 18:22:41 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] windows or dos based NC software Carol & Jerry Jankura 2003-01-21 18:22:43 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] windows or dos based NC software Carol & Jerry Jankura 2003-01-21 18:31:31 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] windows or dos based NC software CL 2003-01-21 21:59:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] windows or dos based NC software Hans Wedemeyer 2003-01-22 06:42:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] windows or dos based NC software Ray Henry 2003-01-22 06:49:36 UTC Re: RE: windows or dos based NC software sparkness2001 <mark@c... 2003-01-22 07:14:08 UTC Re: windows or dos based NC software alex 2003-01-22 08:13:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] windows or dos based NC software CL 2003-01-22 10:11:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: windows or dos based NC software Fred Smith <imserv@v... 2003-01-22 17:04:14 UTC Re: windows or dos based NC software ballendo <ballendo@y... 2003-01-23 05:41:14 UTC DeskCNC limitations was Re: windows or dos based NC software Fred Smith <imserv@v... 2003-01-23 15:35:23 UTC DeskCNC Capabilities ballendo <ballendo@y... 2003-01-24 06:25:21 UTC Re: DeskCNC Capabilities