CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: PWM vs Constant current

Posted by Paul Kelly
on 2005-10-24 16:51:49 UTC
I may have some insight here. At one point on my drive building learning
curve I was convinced of the merits of constant current drives. Actually
built a 4A one and ran it for about 6 months too.
http://www.caswa.com/dropbox/files/wired_with_thermal_cutouts_2.jpg
The board on the lower right is a simple half step translator and the two
fans above cool a pair of 2A linear, current regulators.

The reason I felt this was the way to go was I didn't understand enough
about using PWM to drive motors. Particularly low inductance motors. If you
are scratch building drives using discrete components, (ie no driver blocks)
then CC is pretty straightforward.

For drives up to 4A 40V however, there's just no point as the L297/298
combination, the 6203 , or (for smaller motors) the Allegro 3977
microstepper are fantastic and cheap.

Constant current drives will work. And work reasonably well but they will
dissipate VERY LARGE amounts of heat when at rest.

If you have a 40V supply and a 2A 3V motor, then that constant current
supply will be getting rid of (40-3)*2=74W when the motor is not turning. It
gets better as the motor goes faster....

You can compensate for this by having your driver drop the current or
voltage when not turning. Mach3 has an output for this, but for motors 4A or
less, monolithic PWM chips exist and are better.

PK