CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Apologies

on 2001-08-05 15:44:13 UTC
It only took one generation of lax parenting to develop a generation of lax
parents... this now perpetuates itself...
We now have the kids of this parenting influence (or lack there of) working
in the systems that deal with the problematic outcome that results from this
parenting style... it is no wonder we see such a proliferation of "do
gooders" in our society today, making excuses for those around them and
there irresponsible actions...
And you know where these people will be in another generations time? you got
it... they will be the political powers that be...
Horrifying thought, isn't it?

So my suggestion is an echo of the sentiments in preceding responses...
HOLD THOSE PARENTS RESPONSIBLE & HOPEFULLY THE KIDS WILL GET THEIR WAKE-UP
CALL!!!

Best wishes for a quick recovery in health, mind and equipment...

Bryan

-----Original Message-----
From: elson [mailto:elson]On Behalf Of Jon Elson
Sent: Sunday, 05 August, 2001 5:59 PM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Apologies

hllrsr@... wrote:

> Folks,
> I made some commitments to provide information to various people on this
> list and am unable to provide.
> On the 22nd of June, while my wife and I had gone out for the evening, a
> pair of local teens decided to have some fun.
> After vandalizing several cars, they thought it would be fun to break in
> to my shop, and I guess they were cold, 'cause they proceeded to start a
> fire.
> Unfortunately, the shop was connected to my house, where my 6 yr. old
> son and 15 yr. old step-sister were asleep.
> Luckily, damage to the house was limited to smoke and water, not too
> bad.
> My step-sister had minor smoke inhalation, again not too bad.
> BUT- the shop and contents (equipment, files, '71 Harley) are gone.
> And most importantly, my son came home from the hospital today, they
> think his lungs are finally healed.
>
> So, I have not really had time for much lately, but things are slowly
> getting back to normal. I will track down the info and forward it on to
> the list when I get it.
> The kicker to all this? The teens can not be touched because THE LITTLE
> BASTARDS ARE 12 YEARS OLD! Which makes 'em too young for the court
> system.

Legally, as it refers to criminal prosecution, that is true in most states.
In some states, however, setting fire to an occupied building could
subject even 12 year olds to prosecution under the juvenile justice
system, and incarceration until they are 21.

On the other hand, you can SUE the parents for everything they are worth.
Did the insurance company reimburse you for every cent lost, both
home, shop, medical expenses (which must be astronomical for over a
month of hospital stay)? I'd almost guarantee you have significant losses,
even with the best insurance. Your son may pay for this for the rest of his

life, I doubt his lungs are completely recovered from anything that kept him

in the hospital for 6 weeks! (I hope otherwise, but....) Shouldn't the
parents
who were supposed to be supervising these 12 year olds pay for any
future problems your son has that can be traced back to the fire?

I live in Missouri, where the juvenile laws are about as crazy and
enforcement as inconsistant as most other places. But, i think with some
pressure from your family (maybe a media event with your step-sister and
son present at the prosecutor's office) you could at least achieve putting
these attempted murderers under court-ordered supervision until they
are 18.

At least in Missouri, setting fire to an occupied structure raises arson
from a modest felony to a very high felony, approximately equal to attempted

murder. If these kids got hold of a gun and fired it at someone, but
missed,
i suspect they would be in a HEAP more trouble than they seem to be in.
I believe, although I'm not sure, that the setting fire to occupied
structure
law doesn't require the perpetrator to actually know that there is someone
inside, just to know that it is possible that someone could be there. Ie.
burning
down a chicken coop, you wouldn't reasonably expect someone to be
sleeping there, but burning down a house, you could reasonably expect
someone to be there, and if there was, indeed, someone there, then the
penalty goes up.

Anyway, no life was lost, but it sounds like it could have been! I hope
your son
does recover fully from this, and that in time you and your shop can move
past
it, too.

The reason I go on about all this is that these things NEED to be dealt with

SEVERLY, and word getting out that the parents had to sell their nice house
and cars, and are now living in a tiny 2-bedroom apartment, pay astronomical

insurance rates, and will be paying on their debt to you until they are 85
years
old, might make a few parents keep a closer eye on their kids.

Jon

Addresses:

Post messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Moderator: jmelson@... timg@... [Moderator]