CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Flashcut vs desknc for windows & Deskam

Posted by aspaguy
on 2002-01-13 15:38:19 UTC
---
Group: Thanks for the insightfull replies to my post. paricularly
Chris, Dan & Ballendo. Like so many things in life answers just
create more questions.I did resend the e-mail to flashcut and got a
quick response. unfortunately, as a newby the benefits they described
were over my head and I'm not sure that weather deskwin nc has the
same benefits or not. I will e-mail deskam and ask them about these.
It seems that no one here on the group has dealt with both progams
much, but fortunately Dan and Chris have each used 1 of the programs
and found them favorable. this information also creates more
questions, like what is Continuous contouring? it sounds like its
important for my type of application.And what about tool radius
compensation. I would assume this has to do with cutting a square
hole with a round bit and getting corners that are radiused the same
as the bit radius, but i don't see how software can fix that.
As far as why Master 5 wasn't being considered, well that has more
to do with how i got to this point than with good sense. To make a
long story short, I was under the impression that using the windows
clock to run the program created very undesireable problems. I would
appreciate more feedback on this and if master 5 has really been
able to adequately solve it without a signal generator. I previously
had stumbled on to the master 5 sight, but dismissed it becaus of no
signal gen. At Ballendo's suggestion I went to the data base to check
out Master 5 and discovered It was authored by a guy named Art, the
same Art who seemed Quite insightful in answering many of the
questions I have seen on this group. This tells me that this is
definitly worth looking at along with the other 2 Also, I have seen
a few programs with nesting features for better materials usage, but
most of them have been expensive. does anyone know if this is
available in any of these low cost programs? Would this be considered
a cad or a cam funtion? Speaking of cam, Chris, the funtion of
Creating G code from Dxf is handled in Deskam, then Desknc uses the
g to run the drivers.
By the way, has anyone considered adding a cnc glossary to the
database? A complete and growing glossary would save a lot of time
for us newbies (there seems to be a lot of us) and keep you vetrans
from answering the same questions over & over it should contain what
seems obvious such as drivers, steppers, servos, as well as
acronyms.... dxf, g, cad, cam, etc as well as deeper terms like
continuos contouring and tool radius compensation. Shoot, if enough
of these database features are added, perhaps instead of a book we
can just rename the group " cnc for dummies" ( if that isn't to
insulting for our exhalted vetrans. lol) I guess I'd better end this
novel and give someone a chance to reply
Thanks,
Dale