CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Gecko Bridgeport saga - Gib adjustment?

Posted by Keith Clark
on 2004-09-04 13:15:26 UTC
~petev,

I can't measure how fast the axis moves with the external pulse
generator since the computer will not work at the same time. I can
only look at it and guess. Plus I don't have direction control and
have to switch motor wires to change direction and it is a complete
rewiring job to connect to the other axes motors one at a time.

I am getting relatively fast speeds (75 ipm) only on along one area
of the X axis in one direction with the Cam Soft stepper board and
Gecko drive. It seems the mechanicals are troublesome. I did have
some problem with the original controller when the weather was cold
with stalling at rapid speed. I have cleaned the ways and am
checking the lube system. I have run a program to move the ways
back and forth while cleaning and lubricating but to no avail.

Would it be worthwhile to adjust the gibs? of course I have never
done it. The manual says do not adjust the factory setting unless
absolutely necessary. I would expect the gibs to loosen over time
rather than get tighter.

There is also a filter in the lubrication system but I can't find
it. The manual says to clean or replace it and this has not been
done since I have had the machine.

Thanks
Keith Clark

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "vavaroutsos" <pete@v...>
wrote:
> Keith, for the money you spent on CamSoft and new motors, I would
> demand more than 75ipm. My BOSS 6 had rapids of 110-120ipm with
the
> POS factory control. I know your original motors should be capable
of
> the same, and I would hope your new motors are capable of even
more.
> I think the geckos should be able to get you somewhere near
120ipm.
> You really need to get a scope on the step/dir lines to the geckos
> and see what's going on. How fast will the machine go using the
> standalone pulse generator?
>
> ~petev
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Clark" <mail@t...>
> wrote:
> > No the pulse generator drives the Geckos in place of the stepper
> > motion card. In fact the problem seems isolated to the software
> > setup! The Geckos run that high torque motor as well as the
> Anaheim
> > drive does. Nothing wrong with the Geckos. Looks like my
original
> > motors could have been used and that I wasted a lot of money due
> > the stepper motion card. At least all I have to do is fool with
> the
> > motion card and not the drives and motors anymore. Sure feels
good
> > to have a better handle on the situation.
> >
> > Went back and connected all the wires as originally done and
> > everything works! No bad stepper board only bad operator...
(per
> Mr
> > Miagi)
> >
> > I just finished manipulating the acel and decel parameters. I
> > realized that the instructions taked about a value rounded to
the
> > nearest factor of 1024. So I started up the rapidspeed values by
> 200
> > at a time. When it stalled, I increased the acel value bu 1024
> > until it started moving again, then increasing the rapidspeed by
> 200
> > etc. I got all the way to 2500 steps/second in rapidspeed and
or
> > about 75 ipm! Above that I just can't get it going.
> >
> > That sounds fantastic, but then when I try to run the machine,it
> > stalls again. Looks like the axes are not oiled well so I am
> > running a program to run the axes back and forth while actuating
> the
> > lubricating system. It looks like I have the potential to go 75
> > ipm! The whole problem was in the accel values. I can't
believe
> > Cam Soft could not or would not help me with those settings.
They

<awander@v...>
> > wrote:
> > > Keith:
> > >
> > > The pulse generator is driving the motors directly?
> > >
> > > Without the Geckos?
> > >
> > > Andy Wander
> > > Verrex Corporation

Discussion Thread

Keith Clark 2004-09-04 05:51:37 UTC Gecko Bridgeport saga continues Andy Wander 2004-09-04 07:14:54 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko Bridgeport saga continues Keith Clark 2004-09-04 11:11:09 UTC Re: Gecko Bridgeport saga improving Andy Wander 2004-09-04 11:18:53 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Gecko Bridgeport saga improving vavaroutsos 2004-09-04 11:58:02 UTC Re: Gecko Bridgeport saga improving Keith Clark 2004-09-04 13:15:26 UTC Re: Gecko Bridgeport saga - Gib adjustment? Ron K 2004-09-04 13:24:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Gecko Bridgeport saga - Gib adjustment? vavaroutsos 2004-09-04 15:04:50 UTC Re: Gecko Bridgeport saga - Gib adjustment? Keith Clark 2004-09-04 16:26:23 UTC Re: Gecko Bridgeport saga - Gib adjustment? Raymond Heckert 2004-09-04 19:07:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Gecko Bridgeport saga improving Stephen Wille Padnos 2004-09-04 19:08:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Gecko Bridgeport saga - Gib adjustment? Keith Clark 2004-09-04 19:26:37 UTC Re: Gecko Bridgeport saga improving Keith Clark 2004-09-04 19:31:10 UTC Re: Gecko Bridgeport saga - Gib adjustment? Stephen Wille Padnos 2004-09-04 19:54:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Gecko Bridgeport saga - Gib adjustment? Jon Elson 2004-09-04 20:46:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Gecko Bridgeport saga - Gib adjustment? Keith Clark 2004-09-05 05:17:55 UTC Re: Gecko Bridgeport saga - Gib adjustment? Keith Clark 2004-09-05 05:26:56 UTC Re: Gecko Bridgeport saga - Gib adjustment? vavaroutsos 2004-09-05 09:31:45 UTC Re: Gecko Bridgeport saga - Gib adjustment? Keith Clark 2004-09-05 16:02:16 UTC Re: Gecko Bridgeport saga - Gib adjustment?