CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Survey Please read

Posted by hansw
on 2000-01-26 19:05:31 UTC
Hi Doug,
Well it's interesting that you consider W98 a powerful OS... H'mmmm,
It's a shell that rides on DOS7.0 ( much more stable DOS for anyone that
wants it )very much like Win3.1 did. Yet WinNT 3.x 4.0 and up are true
OS's.

Your complaint about not having access to the PIC it strange, I expect
you are not a device driver programmer, and therefore think you don't
have access to it. You certinaly don't have access to all of it/s
timers, (and I expect Linux needs a few for itself also) But you can
very easily and even from a high level langauge have access to timers
with MICROSECOND timing accuracy ! What more do you want ?

That Windows NT is a User friendly OS stems from the years it's been
around. As to NOT being friendly for programmers, it just depends on
what you call friendly. I have programmed for it for many years, writing
device drivers, and end user programs, unforuntaly I cannot pubilish all
my work at my web site, becasue I have non-disclosure aggrements that my
clients insist upon enforcing.

It is a well know fact that Windows NT running on a moderate system
(233MHz) with reasonable amount of RAM (64meg) can handle realtimes in
the lower KiloHerts regions. Which would be considerd DC by many DSP
people !!!

Windows NT has several Realtime add on's much like Linux RT
have a look at

http://www.radisys.com/products/embedded.html

and

http://www.byte.com/art/9610/sec11/art1.htm

Just to name a few...

The learning curve for Windows NT device drivers was not that easy, but
it's also is not that difficult if you really want to do it, all the
information is well documented and free. That's what I used and may be
about $120 worth of other books.

The point I was trying to make seemed not to come over very well, and
for that I blame myself.
The thing that made MAC popular was the "ease of use" and consistent
interface. Windows programmers learned that lesson early on and it
helps. We all know on which menu Save resides don't we, and for sure
Exit is there also.

Consistency is the key word. The openness of Linux is it's Achilles
heel, of that there is not doubt. Anyone can release a version of Linux,
but will every software house support every version of Linux... The
answer is simple... NO.

As to weather I'm to be considered a flake or not, well I leave that up
to each one of your to decide. For those that actually took time read my
survey reply and comprehend it, will know how I feel about anything,
certainly not passionately enough to call anyone a flake for liking or
disliking something as simple as a computer OS..... I'm old, very old,
and expect I've been building equipment before most you ever wet your
first diapers, and I hope to be designing and building for many years to
come.
No; I don't take offense. If anyone ever called me a flake it just goes
hand in hand with the old adage

"You judge people to your own standards" there is much truth in that.

I have been there and done that, being passionate about something in
the end means nothing at all, it's being able to do some thing that
counts.

So that's my last word on this subject.

Hans Wedemeyer