CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] DeskNC Windows version

Posted by Matt Shaver
on 2001-04-18 23:45:35 UTC
Art Fenerty wrote:

> I must check this out further. 30000 steps/second from linux? Anyone
> know how the linux knows to interrupt itseld 30000 times a
> second. I don't see how its possible. I can't think of any way to
> instruct a motherboard
to tell
> linux to interrupt at that rate, no matter how fast the processor.

Art (& everybody else),

There's been a lot of stuff written about this, and rather than rewrite
it all from scratch, let me excerpt a bunch of stuff from my extensive
archives ;). But first, I think the two most promising ways of
controlling steppers from a PC are:

1. External Hardware!

2.
a. Use channel 0 of the 8254 to generate periodic interrupts as fast
as your PC can stand while still servicing the GUI.

b. Determine how many counts of the Pentium time stamp counter elapse
between interrupts (call this number X).

c. Schedule the next required step pulse in time units based on the
Pentium time stamp counter.

d. Divide the number of time stamp counter units by X, call the
dividend Y and the remainder Z.

e. The interrupt service routine simply decrements Y, and returns if
it's not zero yet. This will be a very short, fast piece of code.

f. When Y=0 the ISR enters a tight loop watching for the time stamp
counter to equal its starting value + (X*Y) + Z at which time it issues
the pulse.

This approach should give results that have the granularity of the TSC
with most of the CPU time left free to service the GUI because the ISR
is doing the course timing.

Art: Is this how your .vxd works?

Below are the excerpts I've found on this topic. Readers with less than
an obsessive interest in PC generated timing can stop reading here,
zealots may continue at will ;)

Matt